Best Bike Rack Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Bike Rack Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Because the great outdoors is meant to be explored, taking your bike out and hitting the road or countryside feels great. The break from normal life is great for your health and best shared with family or friends but getting your bike from A to B can be difficult unless you have a quality hitch bike rack. This allows you to take more than one bike at a time to the beginning of your favourite track or starting point.
Of course, the first thing you need to consider is safety. This is for other people on the road as well as the bikes themselves. Then you need to think about how many bikes it needs to hold and how durable it is. Whatever you require, every hitch bike rack in our top ten is reliable and offers you the ability to spend more time on your bike. To see our picks keep reading our Best Bike Rack Review Guide For 2022-2023.
LITE-WAY 3- Bike Hitch Mounted Rack
This hitch-mounted rack fits tight so rattling is not a concern when in use. It fits the 2-inch receiver hitch and has a foldable design to make it able to accommodate different types of bikes easily. For some people, the swing arms are the best feature as it makes it easy for you to get to the boot but other people will appreciate the 120 lbs full load which is more than most products offer. The tie-down cradles and straps help to keep the bikes secure on the thick square tubes of this well
- ★Ultra Durable Construction: This bike hitch carrier is constructed with premium heavy-duty iron with powder coating and ultra durable rubber straps to withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- ★Universal Fitment: This bike hitch mount is engineered to accommodate cars with 2 inch hitch receivers and is ideal for most bikes, including oversized or undersized ones.
- ★Anti-Sway Design: Your bikes will be kept safe, secure and scratch-free and there is no wobbling or moving even if you are driving in a bumpy road thanks to the heavy-duty anti-rattle stabilizer attached.
- ★Ultra Convenience: The “L” shaped hitch of this bike carrier can be folded down to invite more convenience during daily use.
- ★2 Bike Capacity: This bike hitch carrier is engineered to accommodate 2 bikes at a time, a bonus for cycling enthusiasts and could effectively prevent bikes from colliding with each other.
- Holds up to 120lbs
- No rattling
- Can be hard to secure everything
Retrospec Lenox Car Hitch Mount Bike
The gaming rack style of this product might make a few people feel a little nervous, but it is very secure. The frame is L-shaped and fits easily under your vehicle, feeling sturdy when in place. Even when it is fully loaded a pin allows you to fold it down to access the boot and many people have commented on how it does not provide any drag so their mpg is the same as it is without the rack on. The bike limit isn’t as high as other brands at just 40 lbs per bike (80lb total) but with tile-down straps to keep everything in place, it should be enough for most people.
- Includes AntiRattle Adapter to minimize wobble of bikes during transport. Fits Class III & IV 2-inch trailer hitches.
- Carry arm spacing designed to accommodate an array of frame styles and sizes.
- Tie down cradles and straps take great care in individually securing your bicycles while protecting them from damage.
- Convenient and compact design, folds easily for storage when not in use.
- Sturdy steel construction with a weight limit of up to 35lbs per bike. Minor assembly required, tools for assembly included with purchase.
- Feels sturdy
- Easy to access boot
- Only holds up to 40lb per bike
Saris Superclamp EX 2-Bike Rack
The best thing about this hitch bike rack is that it only weighs 35 lbs yet is strong enough to carry up to 60 lbs per bike (holds two). It tilts, allowing you to access the boot of your car when the rack is full and fold up to a small and non-intrusive size when not in use. It comes with added reflectors to help keep you safe on the road and even One of the most impressive elements is that the dual wheel-clamping hooks are parallel to the body and offer fast loading and convenience that a lot of others do not.
- Lightweight, yet mighty! weighs only 35 lb, and is rugged enough to carry 2 bikes, up to 60 lb each
- Tilting feature allows hatch access, even when fully loaded, and folds up when not in use
- Features integrated locks and reflectors for extra security and visibility, day and night
- Fastest loading bike rack around thanks to the dual wheel-clamping hooks (bonus: no frame contact)
- Made in the USA
- Lightweight at 35lbs
- Holds up to 60lbs per bike (x2)
- Added reflectors
- Requires a bit of effort to setup
Yakima – Holdup Hitch Mounted Bike Rack
This strong tray hitch bike rack assembles within minutes and has added security to keep your bikes from being stolen when you take your eye off them. You can adjust the space between the bikes so if you load a bigger second you can make sure they do not touch. The design is intuitive and ensures the bike frame does not come into contact with the rack. The strong arm feature makes it easy to get the bikes on. It is sturdy enough to hold two bikes of up to 60lbs per bike.
- Quick and easy assembly within minutes, comes with fully integrated security
- StrongArm design enables you to load your bike quickly whether it’s a 20″ wheel or a 29er
- Zero contact with the bike frame; Accommodates carbon road bikes as well as disc brakes, thru axles and full suspension bikes
- Locks bike to rack and rack to vehicle, weight 49.0 lbs, load capacity 60 lbs weight maximum per bike
- Carries 2 bikes out of the box, or 4 bikes with optional HoldUp +2. 1-1/4″ or 2″ Hitch Receiver Required
- 120lbs capacity
- Added security
- Assembles quickly
- Rack is quite heavy
Swagman XTC2 Hitch Bike Rack
This hitch bike rack is sturdily built and offers good value in the price range. It can carry up to 2 bikes and has a load capacity of 35lbs per bike. This is lower than a lot of the competition but if you don’t need more weight, then it is a great option. The grip arms are soft and friendly on the frame and it has individual tie-down straps for the stirrups. Keep in mind that is capable of holding wheels between 20 – 29″ which is fine for most and the centre arms fold down so you can access the boot.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: The XTC2 hitch mount bike rack only takes a few minutes to assemble following the instructions. Once installed, simply place your bikes on the rack and start cruising to your destination
- SAVES YOU STORAGE SPACE: Rack folds easily so that you can conveniently store when you are done using it
- WORRY FREE SECURITY: Have peace of mind knowing that your bikes are protected with locking ratchet hooks and locking hitch pin
- VERSATILE: Easily transports up to 2 bikes and is compatible with a Class 2 or higher, 1- 1/4″ and 2″ hitch receiver. Fits most frame sizes, shapes and style (fits 12″ to 29″ tire sizes). Maximum weight capacity of 35Ibs. per bike
- Good value
- Easy access to the boot
- Soft grip arms
- Only holds up to 35 lbs per bike
Hollywood Racks – 2-Bike Hitch Mounted Rack
One of the easiest hitch bike racks in terms of loading and unloading it is perfect for quick trips and weighs just 39 lbs. It holds a combined 90lbs total of both bikes which is enough for most people but something to check for the serious biker. You should be mindful that it has a maximum wheelbase of 60 inches and is not the best hitch rack for fat-tire bikes. Still, it represents good value at the price and folds up very neatly for storing in a garage.
- Locking bike frame hooks to deter theft; includes keyed alike locking hitch pin
- Adjustable wheel holders allow this bike rack to carry up to a 60″ wheel base bicycle
- Fits both 1 1/4″ and 2″ hitches; Not to be used on a trailer or towed vehicle
- The bike rack features foldable wheel support tubes for easy garage storage
- Max Capacity: 45lbs per bike; Kids bikes, ladies frame bikes and some mountain bikes may require a top tube adapter to fit on the rack
- Lightweight but strong
- Holds up to 90 lbs total
- Not as good for fat-tire bikes
Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Bike Rack
The premium materials make this hitch back rack reliable and it has enough space for 2-4 bikes with the add-on (sold separately) to take it to full capacity. It has a platform stance that keeps everything in place well and fits 20 – 29″ wheels with ease. It is also good at transporting fat bikes up to 5″ in tire width with up to 27.5″ wheels. It has a max capacity of 120lbs and can be purchased in black or silver. The tool-free installation is simple as is the removal process. When you’re done it folds up easily thanks to a lever that can be used to tilt the bikes so you can access your boot.
- Thule T2 Pro XT 2 – 1.25″: Premium platform hitch bike rack for 2 bikes.
- Dimensions: 54 x 15 x 43 inch | Folded dimensions: 54.7 x 22.5 x 33.8 inch
- Tool free Auto Attach system makes it easy to install and remove
- Secure bikes quickly without frame contact with the frame-free ratcheting arm. Distance between bikes :12.5 inch
- Rack tilts down for rear of vehicle access and folds up when not in use
- Ideal for carbon frames, mountain, downhill, ebikes and fat bikes as it fits 20 – 29” wheels and up to 5” tires without adapters
- Max bike weight: 60 pound | Load capacity: 100 pound
- Easy to install
- Holds up to 120 lbs
- Can be expensive for some people
Yakima – Dr.Tray Hitch Mounted Tray Rack for Bikes
This 2 bike hitch rack can accommodate fat-tire, as well as road or mountain bikes with tires of 26″ to 29″. The 40lbs maximum isn’t the biggest on our list but it should be fine for most cyclists. The main draw is the big 18″ of space between bikes, a lot of the time they look like they are almost touching but that is not an issue with this product. The aluminium design makes it lightweight and sturdy, as is the tilt level that allows you to lift the rack easily. What impresses the most is a secure locking system that keeps everything safe and it also attaches to an add-on that can be purchased separately to fit an extra bike.
- CARRY 2 BIKES: Fits road, mountain and fat-tire bikes; Securely carries 26″ to 29″ wheels and tires up to 4.8″ wide; 40 lbs. maximum weight per bike
- UNRIVALED SPACING: Up to 18″ of space between each bike; Tray spacing can be adjusted (tool-free) while the bikes are loaded, eliminating any bike-to-bike interference
- EASY TO USE: Raise and lower the rack easily with the Remote Control tilt lever; Lightweight aluminum design
- SECURE YOUR GEAR: Tool-free locking SpeedKnob for quick and easy installation to your vehicle; Included SKS cable lock system secures each bike’s wheels and frame
- ADD 1 MORE: Need to carry a third bike? Add the EZ+1 Extension (sold separately) to carry 3 bikes total
- Lots of space between bikes
- Sure locking system
- Can be expensive for some people
Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack
Now for a two bike hitch rack that fits hitches of 1-1/4″ and 2″ and has a 35lb capacity per bike. The centre arm allows you to access the boot when folded down even when fully loaded and it is easy to adjust the ratcheting arms to fit individual bike frames to keep them secure. It doesn’t take long to assemble but the fat bike wheel trays are sold separately so if this affects you make sure you purchase those at the same time. For added convenience, it folds up vertically and the steel has a sturdy feel about it.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE & USE: Only takes a few minutes to assemble and the upright ratchet arms easily adjusts to different bike frame sizes, will accommodate bike frames up to 59 cm (23.2″)
- KEEPS YOUR BIKE STABLE: Sturdy design includes a built in anti-wobble hitch device to keep bikes in place
- SAVES YOU STORAGE SPACE: Rack folds easily in to compact mode so that you can conveniently store when done using it
- VERSATILE: Easily transports up to 2 bikes and is compatible with 1-1/4″ and 2″ receiver Hitch. Maximum weight capacity is 35Ibs per bike and fits 20″ to 29″ tire sizes
- ACCESSORIES SOLD SEPARATELY: Fat tire wheel trays (64674), 1/2″ Locking Hitch Pin (64029) or 1/2″ Locking Hitch Pin and Security Cable (64031)
- Good value
- Easy to assemble
- Adjust ratcheting arms to fit each bike frame
- Security cable is sold separately
Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch
Not only is this the best hitch bike rack on the market, but it is the best value option as well. Working with a 2-inch hitch trailer it can hold up to 4 bikes with a 140 lb total capacity. With 22 inch carry arms it can secure bikes individually and keeps them in place with the brands’ patented tie-down system. It only takes a few minutes to install it and when not in use, it folds away easily. There is a lifetime warranty that comes with every purchase and it is made from sturdy steel.
- 4 bike rack fits vehicles with a 2 inch trailer hitch only. Vehicle will require professionally installed Class III or IV 2 inches hitch to use this product
- 22 inch long carry arms individually secure bicycles with Allen’s patented tie down system
- Rack sets up and installs in less than 5 minutes; Included no wobble bolt secures rack inside of receiver hitch with a movement free installation
- Allen’s warranty does not cover items purchased through third-party sellers
- Holds up to 4 bikes
- Great value
- Sturdy materials
- Only works on Class III or IV 2″ hitch
Best Bike Rack Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
To take your bike anywhere safely and securely, a hitch bike rack is an affordable option and when you get your hands on a quality product, it can be convenient. The problem a lot of people face is finding the right brand and making sure the hitch bike rack they like is right for their needs.
To clear a few things up and to make sure you get this purchase right the first time, we have created the following guide to help make buying a hitch bike rack easy.
What To Consider When Buying A Hitch Bike Rack:
If you need to carry a heavier than average bike or two then you might need something that gives you a bit more in terms of maximum lbs. An average seems to be near the 35 lb per bike mark although this does differ from brand to brand. It is important to know how big you need the max weight capacity to be before you purchase any hitch bike rack.
If you are going away and want to take 3 bikes, you need to know you have the capacity on your hitch bike rack so you don’t have to leave anyone behind. At the same time, there is little point in buying one that can carry 4 bikes if you only need to take 2.
Some hitch bike racks give you more options in this area which means you don’t have to buy a new rack when you need a new bike. Usually, they will accommodate wheel sizes of 20″ to 29″.
When mounting your bikes on the rack, you want to know they aren’t going to knock into one another in transit. The better products will keep important parts away from one another so there is no damage when you reach your destination and want to dismount the bikes.
High-quality hitch bike racks will provide adequate spacing between bikes to make sure they are safe and protected from one another.
Weight Of The Hitch Bike Rack:
The heavier the hitch bike rack, the more it is going to cost you in fuel and if you are going away long distance, then it can be important to think economically. Don’t go for something too light or it might not give you the strength you need. If it doesn’t weigh a tonne, then it should fit nicely in the trunk when not in use.
Ease of Assembly:
When you unpack the kit, there is a certain level of DIY involved to attach it to your vehicle. The easier this process is, the better because some products are more complex than they need to be. Look at what other people are saying about the assembling of the product before buying.
This is where the weight of the hitch bike rack is important because the heavier it is, the more challenging it will be to assemble without help.
You don’t want your bikes moving around back there so choose a hitch bike rack with plenty of ways of securing them in place and make sure it is known for being sturdy.
First and foremost, you need to consider the type of bike you own and make sure it is compatible with a hitch bike rack of a certain size. If you need to attach a kids’ bike on there as well you might need to purchase specially designed adaptors to make sure nothing moves around.
A big shame in the modern world is how often thieves target bikes. A hitch bike rack should come with some level of security to make sure they cannot be taken from the vehicle at any point.
Hitch Bike Rack Tilts:
In order to safely access the trunk, you need to make sure your hitch bike rack will tilt conveniently so you can get in there without a problem. A lot of the time a simple lever device will make this easy, even when the rack is fully loaded.
Different Types of Hitch Bike Racks:
- Platform – This involves transporting your bikes on a metal tray which some people believe is one of the more secure ways. A common and popular product.
- Hanging – The hanging method holds the bikes via the frame.
- Wheel Only – This is where the bikes are held by their wheels.
We hope you enjoyed reading our Best Bike Rack Review Guide For 2022-2023.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel