Best Golf GPS Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Golf GPS Review Guide For 2021-2022 – Golf GPS units have improved a lot over the years, and whilst I previously preferred a laser rangefinder, I now rate the best golf GPS units just as highly. As GPS technology improves and more reliable GPS units become available, the ability of GPS rangefinders is becoming substantial.
Having knowledge of the course you are playing on has obvious advantages, and this is what the best GPS golf rangefinder can do so well. Not only are they usually compact, but they can also be worn.Keep reading our Best Golf GPS Review Guide For 2021-2022 to find out more.
Best Golf GPS Buyers Guide For 2022-2023:
Handheld GPS units can be a great option for those golfers wanting some more advanced features than a golf watch. The best golf yardage device can include features to measure shots and record your score.
Some of the best handheld golf GPS devices also integrate with your smartphone to receive notifications and sync information automatically. Handheld GPS units are more costly, but can be a great investment for serious golfers or those who want to improve their game.
- Larger screens
- More advanced features over GPS watches
- More costly
- Bulkier than other GPS units
Another great option to consider is a voice GPS. These GPS rangefinders work by clipping onto your clothing/belt/hat and delivering a voice reading of distances.
They are beneficial for simple readings and have the advantage of being lightweight and easy to use. Some voice GPS devices have screens, whilst others do not.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- They are a cheap golf GPS option
- Limited readings
- Some voice GPS units do not have screens
A sensor GPS is a new technology where sensors are attached to each club, providing information on the swing and sending it wirelessly to your smartphone. Therefore, your smart phone acts as a handheld GPS.
The readings these deliver are very accurate, but as they require the use of your smartphone, they do not really differ from handheld devices.
- Can provide detailed information
- Great accuracy
- Other Things To Consider For The Best GPS For Golf
Because they use GPS technology, even top golf GPS devices tend to have a short battery life. Combine this with more features and the more drain on battery there is.
Battery life is improving over the years with improvements in technology, especially in 2018 with high quality satellites, GPS units can be used in any weather condition, anywhere in the world. Not only is the battery life of top golf GPS watches improving, but so too are their features, with GPS golf watch reviews even better in 2018.
More than just a GPS, some devices double as score cards, fitness trackers and stopwatches. Most golfers just require basic distance readings, so whilst these features can be great, they are not essential in improving skill.
There are other things too that some of golf’s best GPS units include, such as integrating with your smart phone and updating automatically. How important these features are is up to you. The features differ greatly from the features of laser rangefinders. You can compare the features in our laser rangefinder reviews.
Ongoing subscriptions can be good and a bad thing. On one hand, you may be offered continued support through a paid subscription allowing you to update and get the most up to date technology.
On the other hand, there are devices that offer this for free, and so you may be left wondering if a paid subscription is worth it. Not all of these are rip offs, but remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and you do get what you pay for.
Some GPS’ are easier to use than others, but there are several things that can improve usability. One such thing is a large screen and voice readings with the touch of a button.
This depends on the type of GPS unit you choose to purchase, and because the best golf watch GPS differs from the best golf distance finder, read our golf GPS reviews below and see what will be easiest for you.
Which Golf GPS Should I Buy?
To accurately answer this question, you need to consider how you are likely to use the device in your own life. Do you want the best wrist golf GPS so that you can use the device as a watch, or do you just want an accurate golf GPS cheap?
Although I wish I could make it easier for you, there are just too many great golf GPS units available, and what makes the best golf GPS for one person may not make the best one for another. Whilst testing every top rated golf GPS would help, for most golfers this is not an option.
But you do have the next best thing. By reading our reviews below, you can make an educated decision on the best one for you.
In doing so, I recommend you ask yourself the following questions…
- How much am I willing to pay?
- How often will I use my golf GPS?
- What type of GPS best suits my lifestyle?
- These questions are all as important as each other in narrowing down the cost, type and investment when you do a golf GPS devices comparison.
The last thing you want to do is buy a cheap golf GPS rangefinder and find that it does not have the features you need, so read the reviews below and find the right one for you.
Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS
The Phantom golf GPS from Bushnell is one of the highest rated golf GPS devices available today. The long lasting battery life will allow you to play two full rounds before having to charge the device.
This GPS comes preloaded with 36,000 golf courses covering 30 countries. The display will tell you the distance of up to four different hazards on any given hole and will tell you the distance of the front, center, and back of every green.
This smart device GPS automatically recognizes the course you’re playing and will know when it’s time to switch to a different hole. The integrated BITE magnets on the back of the device makes it easy to stick on any metal surface.
This is a great design for those who like to ride in a cart. For those who would rather walk, the built in clip allows you to attach it to your bag. The Phantom GPS comes in four different color options and is a great value for the price.
- Bluetooth allows for wireless course updates
- Long battery life – play up to 2 rounds before charging
- Preloaded with 36,000 courses in 30 countries
- Easy-to-use interface
- Up to 4 hazard distances per hole
- Auto course recognition
- Auto hole advance
- 36,000 preloaded courses
- Hazard distances
- Auto hole recognition
- 3D hole flyovers and course layout maps with Bushnell app/free with watch
- Magnets to hold onto cart
- Multiple color options
- Long battery life
- Water resistant
- Not waterproof
- Magnet strength is questionable
Izzo Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS
The Swami 5000 from Izzo golf is a handheld golf GPS that offers players the distance to the front, center, and back of all greens as well as the layup and carry of all hazards and dog legs on the course. This rangefinder comes with 38,000 preloaded golf courses which will be recognized automatically when you arrive at the course.
This device has a slim profile and includes a two inch color LCD screen. Some important features to mention with this model are round tracking statistics and a built in scorecard to keep track of your round with ease.
Finally, this GPS will tell you how far you hit your previous shot which is always fun to know, especially on those long drives. The Swami 5000 is water resistant and will last up to 12 hours.
- Distances: F/C/B to greens; layup/carry to hazards & doglegs
- Preloaded 38,000+ global course maps; no annual or download fees
- Auto course recognition & hole-advance
- New slimmer profile & larger 2-inch color LCD
- New improved 12+ hr battery life & scorecard feature (save & view scores)
- Water resistant
- Easy charge magnetic charger
- Water resistant device
- Long battery life
- Stat tracking
- Shot measurement
- 38,000 preloaded courses
- Complaints regarding the lifespan of the unit
- Not waterproof
Garmin Approach G30 Golf GPS
The Approach G30 from Garmin is a handheld golf GPS device with a touch screen. The full color display allows for clear course mapping. The design of the G30 is sleek and compact which makes it perfect for carrying around the course.
The GPS system is highly accurate and will give the distances to greens, hazards, trees, and doglegs. The touch screen enables the user to pinpoint any spot to receive accurate yardage.
The G30 allows you to touch to press the location of the pin and find the yardage to any area of the green. The device comes preloaded with more than 40,000 golf courses so you should have no problem finding your home course.
This rangefinder features an electronic scorecard and allows you to track your round while you play. You can connect this GPS to your phone and receive notifications like texts and phone calls.
- Sleek, compact handheld golf GPS with 2.3-inch color touchscreen display
- High-sensitivity GPS acquires satellites quickly to show distance to greens, hazards and doglegs
- Preloaded with more than 40,000 courses worldwide
- Full-color course mapping with Touch Targeting feature
- Green View allows you to place the pin in the correct location for the day, which improves distance accuracy
- Sleek and compact
- Touch screen
- Full color display
- Auto hole recognition
- 40,000 preloaded courses
- Electronic scorecard
- Long battery life
- Small screen
Garmin Approach G8 Golf GPS
The Garmin Approach G8 has a slim profile with a 3” and is considerably lightweight. PlaysLike distances will take slope into consideration when telling the player a distance which is a useful feature when playing golf courses with a lot of slopes.
Another feature that is good for sloped golf courses is the G8’s PinPointer technology that tells the player where the pin is, even when they can’t see it. The distances given will include the front, center, and back of the green.
A colored layup chart ranging from 100-250 yards will tell you exactly how far you need to hit a certain shot on that hole in order to be safe. The club recommender feature will remember how far you hit each club and recommend a club to you based on that information.
- Plays like Distance Gives The Golfer Distances To The Target, Adjusted For Uphill Or Downhill Shots. Display size : 1.5 Inch x 2.6 Inch (3.9 x 6.5 cm). 3.0 Inchdiag (7.6 cm)
- Smart Notification Receive Email, Texts And Alerts From Your Iphone (4S Or Later) Directly On Your Golf Handheld;Physical dimensions:2.1 x 4.4 x 0.6 inches
- Garmin Connect Online golf community lets you play, then share and compare your round; visit connect.garmin.com to find out more
- Club Advice Remembers how far you hit each club, and provides recommendations on which club to use based on your shot distances PINPOINTER Provides blind shot assistance by pointing you in the right direction when you are unable to see the pin (G8 only)
- Big Numbers Mode For easy viewing on your screen, increase the font size for distances to the front, back and middle of the greens AUTOMATIC COURSE UPDATE Device automatically updates courses with a Wi-Fi connection for no additional charge (G8 only)
- Slope distances
- Layup chart
- Club recommender
- Scorecard feature
SkyCaddie SX500 Golf GPS
This five inch touch screen is one of the brightest and most brilliant displays in the golf GPS game. The SkyCaddie SX500 offers the player the option to adjust a cursor to any given landing point on their very detailed map of the course in order to find a distance to any point.
The SX500 GPS includes their Intelligreen Pro technology which shows the golfer the exact shape of the green and the area around the green. This feature includes an interactive cursor and will adjust based on the angle of approach you have into the green.
SkyCaddie’s Holevue technology allows you to move a cursor to any point of the hole and receive a distance to that area and other points around it. The information that a smart golf GPS like this offers is a gamechanger and will help you lower your scores.
Finally, the SX500 offers round tracking statistics and scoring which will help players have a better understanding of their golf game. All of the information saved can be stored to a SkyGolf360 account.
- Golf’s largest & most brilliant high definition 5” touch screen
- Preloaded with over 35, 000 of sky Golf’s ground-verified, error-corrected maps for unmatched accuracy. Battery – Hi-capacity rechargeable Li-Polymer battery. 12-14 hours continuous use
- Halve with integrated targets. Simply double tap or pinch & zoom to reveal up to 40 geo-referenced targets per hole for critical distances to hazards, carries & layups
- Dynamic halve rotates the fairway and orients the green from your current position and angle of Attach as you move from the tee to the green
- Cut the cord Wi-Fi connectivity to streamline updates, register & course downloads on demand. No need to connect to a computer
- Included components: micro usb cable, wall charger
- 40 geo-referenced targets per hole
- 5” touch screen
- Score keeping
- Statistic tracking
- Adjust for angle of attack to green
- Intelligreen Pro
- Holevue technology
- Highly water resistant
- Not waterproof
We hope you found our Best Golf GPS Review Guide For 2021–2022 helpful.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel