Best GPS Watches For Hunting Review Guide For 2023-2024
Best GPS Watches For Hunting Review Guide For 2023-2024 – A dependable GPS smartwatch can make navigating your next hunt easier than ever before.
When you’re ready to head out hunting, you’ll want the right type of smartwatch on your wrist.
By choosing the best GPS watch for hunting, you’ll have the benefit of a plethora of features that are designed to help make your hunt a success.
But there are lots of different models of GPS hunting watches on the market, so which one should you buy?
Here’s a rundown of the ones that we think are the best, plus a buyer’s guide so you know what to look for.
To see our picks keep reading our Best GPS Watches For Hunting Review Guide For 2023-2024.
OUR TOP PICK – Garmin Tactix Delta Solar
The Garmin Tactix Delta Solar GPS watch gives you the ability to track your fitness, navigate the trails and go covert in the field.
If there was ever a smartwatch that was made as the perfect hunting companion the Garmin Tactix Delta Solar might just be it.
Is it the best smartwatch for hunting this year? We think so, and this is why.
Crammed full of tactical functions, navigational tools and constructed of seriously tough components, the Tactix Delta is actually aimed at servicemen and woman.
With a military grade exterior (built to military standard MIL-STD 810) and nylon or silicon strap, this watch has the toughness to withstand whatever comes its way.
As is pretty much standard with smartwatches these days, an ‘always-on display’ means it only takes a quick glance to check the data from one of its many functions and tools. However, this may be turned off to save from marginal battery drain.
At 1.4″, the screen is generous in size. It’s actually 36% larger than the previous Tactix model. However, the display can be considered functional rather than beautiful.
Designed to save on battery, the resolution is lower than you’ll find on a day to day smartwatch. The color palette too is less substantial.
However, what you will find is that that information is presented very well and is easily digested at a glance in harsh conditions. The viewing angle is wide and glare and low light don’t pose much of an issue.
By stripping down the display so that it does only the necessities well, amazing battery life figures can be achieved…
The battery is long lasting, I mean really long lasting. In smart watch mode you’ll get up to 21 days of battery power. Using your satellite navigation will drain it more quickly, but you’ll still have 60 hours of usage available.
These figures are amazing but the Tactix Delta also comes with solar charging. If you can get your watch out in the sunlight for three hours or more per day, you’ll help to extend the battery even further.
Solar charging extends the regular battery life to 24 days and to 66 hours with constant GPS use.
There’s actually a really neat feature called ‘Expedition Mode’ that puts the watch in a low energy consumption state but with GPS still enabled and recording data. Battery life can reach 46 days in this mode!
As a hunting smartwatch, satellite navigation is bound to be used regularly, and on this watch you’ll have the benefit of all three main positioning systems: GLONASS, GPS and Galileo. This helps to provide the most accurate tracking, even in challenging locations.
You can easily synchronize your location with others using the dual positioning formats (UTM and MGRS) and set waypoints (geographical positions) to be used for navigation at a later time.
Satellite navigation is assisted by topographical mapping and multiple sensors.
Elevation is calculated using an altimeter, a 3-axis compass assists with direction, and a barometer even provides weather reports.
There are thousands of preloaded topographical maps and more can be added and updated at an extra cost. You can even receive turn by turn navigation commands as you proceed on your course.
This watch has contactless payments, performance monitoring and multiple sports modes too, but at its heart it feels like a watch that’s been designed for the wild.
It has night vision capability which can be read while wearing night vision goggles, a stealth mode that hides your location and a kill switch which enables the memory to be wiped at the press of a button.
There’s also the option to include Applied Ballistics software to help you line up those long-range shots to perfection.
You can synch the software with laser rangefinders and even thermometers for feedback and adjustments to make.
It must be said the price tag is on the large side, which will put most off. However, if you spend a lot of time hunting or in the wilderness for days at a time then this could appeal to you. It’s an incredible smartwatch built for a very specific type of person.
- 24-day battery
- Preloaded TOPO maps
- Multiple satellite navigation systems
- Waypoint markers
- Multiple coordinate markers
About this item:
- The solar charging lens uses sunlight to extend battery life and custom power manager modes to achieve weeks long battery life
- Carry out the mission, and train with a rugged yet sophisticated watch, featuring an always-on 1.4” display with black DLC-coated bezel
- Includes preloaded TOPO maps, a public land map, ski maps for 2,000 ski resorts worldwide, multi-GNSS support and advanced navigation sensors
- Specialized tactical features include Jumpmaster mode, waypoint projection, dual-position format and preloaded tactical activity, stealth mode and kill switch
- Quickly access customizable battery modes with power manager to extend battery life
- Military-grade build
- Night vision mode
- Amazing battery life
- Preloaded maps
- Optional ballistics software
- Tactical features
- 10 ATM waterproof
- Basic display
- A lot of functions to learn
- No touchscreen
This the best Garmin GPS hunting watch, and in our opinion the leading GPS hunting smartwatch overall. Precise and accurate navigational functions with dedicated hunting features make this watch a clear standout.
Great Alternative – Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar
A tough, solar powered smartwatch built for the outdoors.
Well equipped for a wide range of sports and outdoor activities, the Fenix 6X Pro Solar is another great Garmin smartwatch that delivers sterling performance under demanding conditions.
With solar charging to give an extra boost, the battery power on the Fenix 6X is impressive. The battery can last up to 24 days in regular smartwatch mode and 148 hours in maximum battery GPS mode.
The clear LCD screen provides bright graphics without being energy intensive. You won’t find anything as bright and beautiful as the retina screen on an Apple Watch Series 6 but what the Fenix 6X Pro has is clear and functional. The massive upside here is 24 day battery life as opposed to 1 or 2 on the Apple Watch.
A nice touch is the ability to pick and choose features to enable or disable at any time. This essentially allows you to manage your battery usage and use the watch at its most energy efficient. Turn off what you don’t need get the most out of each battery charge.
It’s worth mentioning that there’s no touchscreen on this smartwatch so you’ll need to use the bezels to flick through the functions.
This is by choice and it just makes sense for a smartwatch built for hunting and the great outdoors. Touchscreens are useless when they’re wet or dirty and they use more power too.
Interfaces are definitely easier to navigate using a touchscreen but Garmin have done a good job making the button system intuitive on the Fenix 6X Pro.
This watch is built to take the knocks it will inevitably receive in the wild. Waterproof to 10ATM (or 100m) it can be fully submerged and be used when swimming.
Titanium and diamond-like titanium (DLC) coated bezels crown a fiber reinforced polymer case and metal backing. The lens comes in a choice of Gorilla Glass or sapphire crystal which are both incredibly strong and resistant to scratching.
With triple satellite navigation capacity in the form of GPS, Galileo and GLONASS you have sufficient navigational backup on expeditions. Preloaded topographical maps and outdoor sensors are further tools essential for the outdoors.
A 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, and gyroscope are all at your disposal at the press of a button.
Aside from hunting based features, there are multiple sports functions including skiing, weight training, hiking, cycling and golf.
There are golf courses and skiing trails available on the map function on the watch.
Health tracking supports the sports modes and monitors a range of indicators including oxygen levels, heart rate and sleep.
I’d describe this smartwatch best as a sports/fitness focused watch that is built for the outdoors and therefore suits hunting really well. It’s less of a dedicated hunting smartwatch than the previously recommended Tactix Delta.
- Wrist heart rate & pulse ox
- Training features include PacePro
- Preloaded TOPO maps
About this item:
- Solar Powered Multisport GPS Watch with large 1.4 inches display (36% larger than previous fenix models) uses the sun’s energy to extend battery life and assure more on-wrist time for your off-grid activities
- Enhanced estimated wrist heart rate and Pulse Ox to support advanced sleep monitoring and altitude acclimation at high elevations (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition)
- Advanced training features include PacePro for grade-adjusted pace guidance throughout your activity plus environmentally adjusted VO2 max and training status estimates
- Navigate the outdoors with preloaded TOPO maps, ski maps for over 2,000 worldwide ski resorts, multiple global navigation satellite system (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) support and built-in sensors for 3-axis compass, gyroscope and barometric altimeter
- Support for Garmin Pay contactless payments (not all countries and payment networks are eligible), music storage with premium streaming service (may require subscription with third-party music provider) support, smart notifications and more
- Internal, rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 21 days of battery life in smart Watch mode with an additional 3 days when solar charging4, and 15 hours in GPS mode with an additional hour when solar charging when used in 50,000 lux conditions
- GPS, GLONASS and Galileo satellite navigation
- Waterproof to 10 ATM
- 24 day battery
- Multiple sports & health tracking
- No touchscreen
Garmin rarely puts a foot wrong and the Fenix 6x Pro Solar is another smartwatch which delivers on durability, navigational features, and functionality.
Amazing Value – Garmin Instinct Solar
A GPS smartwatch well suited to hunting. Excellent battery life and a durable build mean it’s more than ready for the great outdoors.
An update to the Garmin Instinct from 2018, the Instinct Solar is a no-frills smartwatch that manages to cram in plenty of features which outdoor enthusiasts will find useful.
With a military-grade construction (MIL-STD-810) there are no concerns about toughness or durability.
The glass is scratchproof and strong, being equipped with the trademark Power Glass that Garmin frequently use in their outdoor smartwatches.
This protects the display from any dings or damage, while also soaking up the sun’s rays to absorb solar power.
And it’s this solar power which contributes to the overall battery life of 54 days when used in smartwatch mode.
When using the inbuilt GPS, usage drops to 145 hours, providing that it’s being used in sunlight for at least three hours per day.
The solar power on this watch is impressive, with larger solar panels than you might have seen on watches before.
This larger solar area allows the battery power to be doubled by exposure to sunlight rather than just adding the usual 10%.
There aren’t any specific features or functions that are for hunting or fishing but there’s still plenty that will be useful in a more generic way.
There is a full complement of satellite navigation with GPS, Galileo and GLONASS all included in the no-frills package. This comes along with a 3-axis compass, barometer and altimeter.
There are many sports modes which are offered plus the watch is waterproof to 10 ATM. That means it can be submerged and be worn while swimming. For a keen hunter and outdoor enthusiast, having a waterproof watch is certainly a key feature.
Although it’s marketed as a fairly low spec entry, there’s a surprising amount of features included in this phone.
The only big grumble is that the screen is black and white, with no color. This doesn’t matter so much for many features but it does mean the detail in maps isn’t as clear as the more expensive options.
However, as we mentioned earlier on in this guide, having a limited display allows for excellent battery life, which is certainly on show here.
- Solar charging
- Waterproof to 100 meters
- Built-in 3-axis compass & barometric altimeter
- Activity tracking
- Multiple global navigation satellite systems
About this item:
- Vastly extended battery life through solar charging
- Rugged GPS Watch is water-rated to 100 meters and constructed to U.S. military standard 810 for thermal, shock and water resistance
- Built-in 3-axis compass and barometric altimeter plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Track your activities for running, biking, swimming, strength and more
- Help understand your health and wellness better with all-day health monitoring and Pulse Ox (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition)
- Monitor how your body uses energy by tracking heart rate, stress and sleep estimates with body battery energy monitoring
- Strong battery life
- Military-grade construction
- Water-resistant to 100 meters (10 ATM)
- Easily visible in bright sunlight
- Triple satellite system
- Monochrome display
- No hunting-specific functions
The Instinct offers fantastic value just when you thought GPS hunting watches were all overpriced! Garmin bring you a smartwatch that is tough, resilient, and with solid GPS functions.
Unbeatable Battery – Garmin Enduro
With customizable power management modes and a Power Glass™ solar charging lens, this watch just doesn’t know when to stop!
There’s a reason that so many Garmin watches feature on this list and that’s because they’re the undisputed experts of outdoor pursuit specific smartwatches. If you’re looking for a solid GPS smartwatch for hunting then Garmin should be your first port of call.
With their focus on developing rugged tech, the Garmin Enduro is the result of many years of experience.
What this means is that they’ve produced a smartwatch which has an outstanding battery capacity, with up to 65 days of use before needing to recharge!
Whatever type of hunting expedition you’re on, you’ll have lots of spare battery power left to enjoy your trip!
The impressive battery life is achieved through a combination of regular rechargeable battery power and solar charging.
Without solar charging, the battery will last for 50 days but with regular exposure to sunlight, a further 15 days can be added.
As always, the GPS will drain the battery much more quickly than other functions. With solar charging you’ll get 80 hours of GPS use, or 70 hours without solar charging.
There are additional battery-saving modes you can switch to; these reduce the number of “pings” that are sent to the satellites without cutting contact completely.
There are no hunting-specific functions on this watch; the big bonus is undoubtedly the battery power.
However, Garmin are excellent at producing smartwatches and other tech that perform well outdoors and this watch ticks those boxes too.
ClimbPro is included to provide in-depth information about ascents and descents, plus there’s a compass, altimeter and a barometer to help with weather and location.
The satellite navigation is as good as it gets with GPS, GLONASS and Galileo all included.
If you’re interested in sports metrics and wellness tracking, the Garmin Connect app will give you everything you need.
With everything from sleep monitoring to hydration and blood oxygen levels, it’s an all-round wellbeing tracker.
- Power glass solar charging
- Power management
- Rugged, lightweight design
- VO2 max tracks your cardiovascular fitness level
About this item:
- Power Glass solar charging lens harvests the sun’s energy, giving you more power and time between charges
- Power manager and battery saver modes allow you to toggle sensors on and off to extend battery life on the run
- Rugged, lightweight design features an always-on 1.4” display and steel or DLC-coated titanium bezel, buttons and rear case
- Trail run VO2 max tracks your cardiovascular fitness level and adjusts based on trail conditions
- Ultrarun activity with rest timer allows you to log your time spent at aid stations
- ClimbPro trail enhancements gives you information for descents and flats — for additional safety and awareness
- Use run/walk detection to review after training sessions or races where on course you walked, such as steep climbs
- See your recovery time and your next recommended workout based on your sleep and wellness data
- Navigate in even the most challenging environments with multi-GNSS support (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) and barometric altimeter and compass
- Phenomenal battery life
- Satellite navigation with GPS, GLONASS and Galileo
- Lightweight but rugged
- Complementary app with health tracking
- Altimeter not always precise
Although it’s not technically a Garmin GPS hunting watch, it’s got lots of compatible functions and with unbeatable battery power it’s great for anyone who loves the outdoors.
SUUNTO 9 Baro & Peak
The SUUNTO 9 Baro & Peak combines strong, Finnish quality with a full set of outdoor features.
Manufactured in Finland and tested to meet military standards, this new smartwatch from legendary Finnish brand Suunto is tough and strong.
The display is made with sapphire glass, giving the ultimate resistance against scratches and damage, while the bezel is made from stainless steel for superior strength. It’s waterproof to 100 meters for the swimmers out there too.
A clever battery management system ensures battery power is preserved, and in Tour mode you’ll be able to get about 170 hours between charges (about a week).
The inbuilt GPS drains the power more quickly, but you’ll still be able to squeeze 25 hours out in GPS mode. It makes use of the FusedTrack algorithm which increases tracking and distance accuracy by combining GPS and motion sensor data. This in theory lowers GPS power consumption without reducing accuracy.
You can actually customize the power usage of the watch so that it’s always running at its most energy efficient. If there are functions that you don’t need then you can easily stop them from running in the background. This means energy isn’t wasted and the actual functions that you need will run for longer.
As well as capturing metrics of fitness performance, the watch also carries out health tracking such as heart rate monitoring and training load. There’s blood oxygen level tracking for altitude acclimation too.
It’s primarily a sports smartwatch with extensive fitness tracking modes included. However, it’s aimed at being used in extreme conditions and it will certainly stand up to everything you throw at it.
The Suunto 9 has multiple weather functions that allow you to make educated decisions while out on hunting expeditions. These include:
- Sunrise and sunset times
- Storm alarm
- Sea level pressure
- Air temperature
The mapping is also really well done. The display on this watch is a bit nicer than the Garmins and routes are shown using a clear, bright interface.
Points of interest are easily plotted and routes can be planned using the Suunto app on your smartphone.
About this item:
- Suunto 9 Peak Titanium: Designed for the peak experiences that sport makes you feel, this multisport GPS watch is the thinnest, smallest and toughest watch Suunto has ever made, and its battery charges to full in 1 hour; Titanium Bezel and Sapphire Glass
- Designed for Peak Experiences: Made for training, racing and extreme adventures, the Suunto 9 Peak offers 25 hours of battery life in best GPS mode; Waterproof to 100m depth; 80 sports modes; Music controls on watch to adjust volume, pause and skip tracks
- Get Connected: Connect to your favorite sports apps and services from the Suunto app to get more from your watch; Share with your sports communities and access specific training analysis and guidance
- Adventure Starts Here: Combining Scandinavian design with ultra durable materials, our watches track your sports, daily activity, and sleep to help you keep life, training and recovery in balance
- Authentic Heritage: Founded in 1936, Suunto brings over 80 years of high quality heritage craftsmanship, relentless accuracy, and pioneering innovation to our watches, compasses, and dive products
The Suunto 9 Peak is built to last and won’t let you down when you need it most. Light, strong, and reliable it’s a great option for those that need solid fitness tracking too.
Best GPS Watches For Hunting Buying Guide For 2023-2024
Before buying the best hunting smartwatch, you should consider a few factors. These few factors are very crucial. Without them, you can’t find the best hunting watch for your wrist.
For outdoor smartwatches, design matters. A rugged watch looks different as compared to ordinary smartwatches. The majority of outdoor smartwatches look bulky.
Make sure that your smartwatch has a comfortable body and design. This is only possible when the weight of your smartwatch is too light. All the smartwatches mentioned above are highly satisfactory.
Another factor is GPS which is again a very crucial thing. As a hunter, you need to explore different routes, trackback routes to your initial location, pin other places, and much more.
These all can be achieved if you have a good GPS smartwatch. An accurate and precise GPS is a premium thing in the smartwatch.
Long battery life is essential to track your outdoor routine for a long time. But only a few smartwatches offer you a long-lasting battery. In the above article, all the smartwatches provide long battery life.
A smartwatch must have different crucial features to track the environment and other outdoor activities. It can measure weather conditions, altitudes, stress scores, and various outdoor activity tracking apps.
Lastly, it comes to a price that matters everywhere. I know most people want to buy the best budget smartwatch. Smartwatches under $100 are not proper smartwatches and often give inaccurate results.
Never compromise on quality due to price tags. A cheap and inaccurate smartwatch is useless and has no advantage. Many mid-range smartwatches start from $100 to $1000.
Now it’s up to you which smartwatch suites your budget and requirements. But always buy a smartwatch above $100.
After going through above review guide, I hope you are now able to find best smartwatch for hunting that suits you. There are dozen of purposes and benefits of smartwatches. Whether it’s your outdoor activities, fitness tracking, exercises, hiking, finding routes, stress relief, and more. Thanks for taking the time to read my Best GPS Watches For Hunting Review Guide For 2023-2024.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel