Best Grass Whip Review Guide For 2022-2023
Best Grass Whip Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Power tools, especially for the lawn and garden, are pretty common items for most homeowners. However, there are times when reaching for a power tool is not the right option. For certain types of weeding and trimming, a grass whip is often the better choice.
Our review and buyer’s guide will examine the features and benefits of grass whips and give you an opportunity to compare three different models. To find out even more keep reading our Best Grass Whip Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Truper 33034 Tru Pro Grass Whip, 38-Inch, Silver – Best All-Around Grass Whip
Better quality will not cost you a great deal more as the Tru Pro Grass Whip proves. The quality and design features of this product make it the best all-around grass whip in our line-up.
Among the top features of this tool is its North American White Ash hardwood handle, which provides greater stability and long-term durability. Tempered steel is present in both the shaft and the blade. This grass whip has a longer bend at the shank for improved leverage. It used a more durable, solid steel ferrule for the connection between the handle and shaft.
The quality of materials used in this tool far outweighs the moderate price difference. Spend some extra money to get your hands on this higher quality grass whip.
- 40-inch professional grade premium north american white ash handle
- White ash handles give optimum ratio of resistance and flexibility
- Long grass whip for trimming over grown grass or weeds
- Use on farm or ranch for a lifetime of use
- Tru pro for professional use
- 40” premium grade white ash handle
- Higher quality, steel used in the ferrule
- Double-edged serrated blade is tempered steel
- Longer bend in the tempered steel shank provides a little extra leverage
- Costs more than the others in this line-up
- Some users note that they had to secure the ferrule after several uses
- Blade is dull out of the box and needs to have the paint knocked off
The Ames Companies, Inc 1942600 True Temper Serrated Grass Whip– Solid Mid-Range Priced Grass Whip
The longer handle on this True Temper 1942600 grass whip is an attractive feature, which draws the attention of some users. You get a solid mid-ranged priced grass whip with some impressive features.
Those who prefer the greater control of a two-handed grip are drawn to the longer wooden handle of this grass whip. This tool has a tempered steel shaft and blade and comes with a longer and wider ferrule for a better connection between the two parts. You also get serrated edges on both sides of the blade to cut in either direction with this model.
The improved level of control of the longer handle is this tool’s most attractive feature. Though its construction material quality is better than the True Temper 2942600, it lacks the hardwood and steel ferrule qualities, which limit its level of quality when compared to the Tru Pro.
- Double edged serrated blade
- Tempered steel blade stays sharp
- 10-inch shank for added reach
- Can be used either right- or left-handed with equal effectiveness
- Overall dimensions are 42-Inch Length X 8 .25-Inch Width X 2.5-Inch Height
- Tempered steel blade and shaft
- Extra long handle for two-handed use
- Longer and wider ferrule
- Mid-range price with mid-range quality
- Handle is made of cheaper wood, not hardwood
- Have to knock the paint off coming out of the box to get a good cut
- Ferule is lightweight and cheap
True Temper 2942600 – Best Budget Priced Grass Whip
True Temper 2942600 provides a decent grass whip at a budget price. Several features make this a good choice for someone who is a less frequent user of their grass whip.
This grass whip is equipped with a lightweight wooden handle, whip is shaped to fit your grip. Its steel shaft provides adequate reach and is bent to provide leverage. It comes with a metal ferrule where the handle attaches to the shaft and has dual cutting edges so that you can swing it in either direction.
This product is a bit under-designed when it comes to material quality, making it a tool that you want to stay away from if you use your grass whip a lot.
- Serrated steel blade edges cut tall grass and overgrown weeds in wide areas like ditches, forests and fields
- Double-edge blade serration increases efficiency by cutting tall growth with each swing
- 38-Inch hardwood handle for wide reach with each swing
- Hole in handle for easy storage
- 38” wood handle
- Steel shaft with a powder-coated finish
- Double-edged serrated blade
- Hole in handle allow you to hang it up
- A bit easier on your budget than the other models
- Handle is cheap pine rather than hardwood
- Blade and shaft are not tempered steel
- Blade is dull out of the box and has to have the paint knocked off to work well
Best Grass Whip Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Grass whips are a common choice for trimming grass and weeds around areas that cannot be accessed by powered weed trimmers for various reasons. Those who are looking for a grass whip tend to have a few basic questions about choosing the grass whip that will best fit their needs. We’ve anticipated and answered some of the most common questions to help you make an informed choice.
Why would you need a grass whip?
There are a variety of reasons for choosing a grass whip over a powered model. Included among those reasons is a lack of electrical power to the area where you are trimming. A gas option might not appeal to some users due to weight and maintenance issues. Others simply prefer a non-powered option for reasons of simplicity and a more hands-on approach to their work.
What advantages do grass whips have over string trimmers?
Have you ever had to mess with those confounded spools on a string trimmer? Less hassle is at the top of the list when it comes to one of the main benefits of a grass whip over a string trimmer. A grass whip is something that you can pick up and start using without a lot of preparation and maintenance, which makes it a quicker solution. Another benefit is the ability to have a bit more control over what you cut and how you cut it. We can also mention that using a grass whip provides you with some fitness benefits as well.
Can you sharpen a grass whip?
Though the best grass whips tend to have serrated edges, you can sharpen them if you have the right tools, some know how and don’t mind applying some elbow grease to a job. Sharpening requires a couple of different types of files and a means of securing the grass whip blade while you work. Though this video link includes a little extra information in tool restoration, it does provide some guidance for sharpening a grass whip as well.
What features should you look for in a grass whip?
A grass whip is a fairly simple tool, so there aren’t a ton of features to compare when considering your purchase. The four features to compare while you shop include:
- Handle. Grass whips tend to have a hardwood handle. This style of the handle allows you to maintain a solid grip on the tool while also providing you with a better feel while you work. Various types of hardwood are used, but one of the best among them is North American White Ash. This type of handle will resist wear longer, reduces the overall weight of the tool and has a great feel to it.
- Ferrule. This is the piece of metal used to attach the shaft of the whip to the handle. A quality, steel ferrule that stays in place and provides the proper support to the handle/shaft joint is a critical component to a quality tool. This is a potential weak point that needs to be examined thoroughly when shopping for a grass whip.
- Shaft. Though older grass whip models have a handle and shaft made of hardwood entirely, most of the newer models include a lighter weight steel shaft. The advantage of a steel shaft is the whipping action, which provides a little extra cutting torque with a little less effort on the part of the user. Look for shafts that are stainless steel or powder-coated for longer wear and protection against corrosion.
- Blade. The blade on a grass whip is usually made of steel and is either powder-coated or made of stainless steel. All grass whip blades have serrated edges on both sides to help create a cleaner, more efficient cut regardless of which direction you swing the tool. The angle of the blade in relation to the shaft allows for greater leverage while keeping the blade away from your feet. Keep in mind that a longer blade will cut more, but you will sacrifice some control, while the opposite is true of a shorter blade.
- These common features of grass whips vary little from one model to the next, but subtle features of each can help improve their longevity or ease of use.
A grass whip is a simpler, maintenance free option for trimming grass and weeds in a wide variety of areas. They provide several advantages overpowered units and provide a quick, easy and cost-efficient solution to lawn and garden cleanup. Our buyer’s guide and reviews have provided you with some basic information about this tool and its common features while also providing you with a few samples to compare. If you are looking for a more hands-on approach to gardening, you should get your hands on a grass whip to handle those weed and grass trimming jobs around your home. Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Grass Whip Review Guide For 2022-2023.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel