Best Quadcopters & Multirotors Review Guide For 2020-2021 – Here are the best drones based on design, ease of use, camera quality, durability and flight time. When you’re looking for the best drone, you have a lot of choices. Gone are the days when you practically needed a pilot’s license to fly a drone. Now, thanks to newer sensors and technology, drones pretty much fly themselves, and can remain stable in the air in all but the most challenging weather conditions.
At the same time, consumer drones have also become better at taking aerial photos and video. Not only have the cameras improved, but so has the software, so drones can now track people and objects, and help you record some truly cinematic scenes. On the whole, drones have also become less expensive. We’re not just talking about the sub-$100 toys you can find on Amazon, either. Where a few years back, the best drones cost upwards of $1,000, you can now find excellent models for half that price. But that makes finding the best drone all the more difficult. To see our picks keep reading our Best Quadcopters & Multirotors Review Guide For 2020-2021.
DJI Mini 2 – Best drone overall
Flight Time: 31 minutes | Camera: 4K/30 fps | Smartphone Controlled: Yes | FAA Registration: Not required | Indoor Use: No | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size (unfolded): 9.6 x 11.4 x 2.1 inches | Weight: 8.8 ounces
For most people, the DJI Mini 2 will be the best drone for their needs. It’s tiny—able to fit in the palm of your hand—easy to fly, and can last up to 31 minutes in the air. And, at $449, it’s also the least expensive of DJI’s drones, making it more accessible to the masses.
The Mini 2’s camera resolution has been improved over the previous generation, so it can now shoot at 4K/30 fps. And, because it’s gimbal-stabilized, it’s just as smooth as ever. Because of its light weight—249 grams—you don’t need to register the Mini 2with the FAA, but it also means that the drone is more susceptible to high winds. Still, it’s amazing what DJI packed into the miniscule Mini 2.
- 【PACK LIGHT, FLY FREE】: At less than 249 g, it weighs about as much as an apple and fits in the palm of your hand. Compact and convenient, this small drone is your ideal travel companion, transforming how you capture your favorite memories.
- 【3-AXIS GIMBAL WITH 4K CAMERA】: A 12MP camera in the sky delivers content guaranteed to impress. Along with 4K/30fps video and a 3-axis motorized gimbal, Mini 2 ensures stunning image quality that is consistently smooth no matter how adventurous your piloting gets.
- 【OCUSYNC 2.0 VIDEO TRANSMISSION】: Mini 2 supports up to 10 km of HD video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer.
- 【POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: With a max battery life of 31 minutes, DJI Mini 2 grants more than enough time to compose the perfect shot. Mini 2 can resist level 5 winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
- 【4X ZOOM】: There’s no need to get so close for your dream shot. 4x digital zoom makes it safer and more convenient when transitioning between shots of varying distance and composition.
- 【QUICKSHOTS】: With just a few taps, DJI Mini 2 automatically records and shoots professional-level videos to share directly on social media. Whether you’re a beginner or a more experienced flyer, the DJI Fly app helps you produce impressive results complete with soundtracks and filters.
- 【COMPATIBILITY】: The DJI Fly app requires iOS v10.0, Android v6.0, or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, Samsung Galaxy S20, S10+, S10, S9+, S9, S8+, S8, S7 edge, S7, S6, Note10+, Note9, Note8, Huawei P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 30 Pro, nova 5, nova 4, nova 3e, nova 2, Honor 8X, 10, 9, 20 Pro, Magic 2, Mi 10, Mi 8, MIX 2S, MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, Oppo Find X, R15, Vivo NEX, X27, X21, X20A, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 4, 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, LG V20, LG G6, Sony Xpeial 1.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Long battery life
- Easy to fly
- More susceptible to wind gusts
DJI Mavic Air 2 Best drone for those who want 4K video under $1,000
Flight Time: 34 minutes | Camera: 4K/60 fps | Smartphone Controlled: Yes | FAA Registration: Required | Indoor Use: No | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size (folded): 7.1 x 3.8 x 3.3 inches | Size (unfolded: 9.96 x 7.2 x 3 inches | Weight: 1.25 pounds
The DJI Mavic Air 2 is the best drone for those who want to record 4K video, but don’t want to spend more than a grand. This second edition of the Mavic Air has been upgraded with a better camera, capable of taking 4K videos at 60 frames per second, as well as super-slo mo 240p video at full HD resolutions. And, it can take super-large 48-megapixel photos, too.
DJI also boosted the flight time to an excellent 34 minutes, and improved the drone’s object tracking, so that it can now maintain a lock, even if you duck behind a tree for a moment. Additionally, the Mavic Air 2 can receive ADS-B signals, so you can better know when aircraft are approaching. The only quibble we have is that the Mavic Air 2 now shares the same drab looks as the Mavic Mini and Mavic Pro. But who cares about looks with performance like this?
- Up Your Game: The Mavic Air 2 camera drone takes power and portability to the next level. It combines a powerful camera with intelligent shooting modes for stunning results. Push your imagination to its limits because aerial photography has never been this easy.
- Next-Level Content: Capture impressive 48MP photos with a 1/2-inch CMOS sensor while the 3-axis gimbal provides 4K/60fps video. The secret to incredible HDR video is a high-performance Quad Bayer image sensor. OcuSync 2.0 has a video transmission distance of up to 6.2mi / 10 km and can also deliver 1080p FHD resolution livestream directly from the drone’s camera.
- Improved Flight: An impressive flight time of up to 34 minutes allows you to pull off epic, fast-paced shots. Obstacle sensing in three directions makes it extra convenient for beginners and improves safety for your Mavic Air 2.
- Intelligent Tracking: Mavic Air 2 features intuitive shooting functions that make aerial photography easier than ever. Spotlight 2.0 keeps the camera locked on a subject while you fly freely. ActiveTrack 3.0 keeps subjects centered. POI 3.0 tracks moving subjects like people and vehicles.
- App Compatibility: The DJI Fly app requires iOS v10.0, Android v6.0, or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone (11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6), iPad Pro (9.7’’), iPad Air 2 (9.7’’), iPad mini 4 (8’’), iPad Pro (10.5’’), iPad Pro 2018 11’’, iPad Pro 12.9’’, Samsung Galaxy (S20, S10+, S10, S9+, S9, S8+, S8, S7 edge, S7, S6, Note10+, Note9, Note8), Huawei (P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 10, nova 5, nova 4, nova 3e, nova 2, Honor 8X, 10, 9, 20 Pro, Magic 2, Mi 8, MIX 2S, MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, Oppo Find X, R15, Vivo NEX, X27, X21, X20A, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, LG V20, LG G6, Sony Xpeial 1.
- What You Get: Mavic Air 2 Aircraft, Remote Controller, Intelligent Flight Battery, 3x Low-Noise Propellers (Pair), RC Cables (USB Type-C, Lightning, Standard Micro-USB), Control Stick, Gimbal Protector, Battery Charger, Manuals, AC Power Cable, Type-C Cable.
- Video Capture Resolution: 4K Hd
- Fast, nimble flier
- Great battery life
- Comfortable controller
- Excellent photos and video
- Drab design compared to previous model
DJI Mavic 2 Pro/ DJI Mavic 2 Zoom – Best camera drone
Flight Time: 31 minutes | Camera: 4K/30 fps | Smartphone Controlled: Yes | FAA Registration: Required | Indoor Use: No | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size: 12.7 x 9.5 x 3.3 inches | Weight: Pro: 32 ounces; Zoom: 31.9 ounces
If your aerial photography needs are a little more complex, another DJI drone can get the job done for you. The DJI Mavic 2 is the best drone for videographers and photographers looking for an all-in-one aerial platform. (There are other, more expensive drones that let you mount DSLRs and other third-party cameras, but are much more expensive).
The Mavic 2 is available in two versions: the $1,449 Mavic 2 Pro offers a 1-inch Hasselblad sensor for capturing high-quality photos and video, while the $1,249 Mavic 2 Zoom features a 2X optical zoom lens. Either version is a good choice, though the Zoom proved a little more versatile in our tests. Whichever Mavic 2 you opt for, you can count on an easy-to-fly drone that now features 360-degree obstacle avoidance.
- For Mavic 2 Pro & Mavic 2 Zoom
- Charge Batteries While Driving
- Turn Batteries into 2 x USB Type-A Banks; Operating Temperature Range: 0℃ – 40℃
- Easy to fly
- Long battery life
- Excellent cameras
- 360-degree obstacle avoidance
- Rotor flicker in sunlight
PowerVision Poweregg X – Best drone for the water
Flight Time: 25 minutes | Camera: 4K/30 fps | Smartphone Controlled: Yes | FAA Registration: Required | Indoor Use: No | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size: 18 x 18 inches x 4 inches | Weight: 1.9 pounds
The Powervision Poweregg X can go where most other drones can’t: In the water. That’s because the Poweregg X has a removable waterproof shell and pontoons that allow you to land and take off from ponds, lakes—even the ocean, if it’s calm enough. And, the drone’s body can even be used as a camcorder, making it useful even when it’s not in the air.
We found that the Poweregg X flew well, if a bit slowly (the pontoons do weigh it down), can fly up to 25 minutes or so on a charge, and has pretty good object tracking. However, video and photo quality, while above average, did not measure up to DJI’s drones. Then again, try landing one of DJI’s drones in the water and see what happens.
- Includes waterproof housing, water-landing floats and an extra battery.
- 4K/60fps UHD camera produces professional quality video and 12 megapixel images.
- Patented SyncVoice technology picks up high-fidelity sound using the mobile phone’s microphone or a wireless microphone and automatically synchronizes the audio with the footage.
- AI Face Recognition technology delivers accurate, efficient, multi-angle, remote face recognition and subject lock-on when following the subject.
- A multi-function device that can also be used as an autonomous personal AI camera, or a handheld 3-axis AI camera.
- What’s included: PowerEgg X, Remote Controller, Wrist Strap, Full Set of Arms & Propellers, 3 Spare Pairs of Propellers, 2 Intelligent Batteries, Intelligent Charger, Waterproof Housing, Water-landing Floats, Carrying Case, Protective Case for Arms
- Can land, take off on water
- Able to fly in poor weather conditions
- Can be used as camcorder
- Slow flier, especially when using pontoons
- Video quality not best-in-class
Ryze Tech Tello – Best drone for kids
Flight Time: 3-5 minutes | Camera: 720p | Smartphone Controlled: Optional | FAA Registration: Not Required | Indoor Use: Yes | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size: 6 x 6 x 1.3 inches | Weight: 3 ounces
For just under $100, the Ryze Tech Tello—designed by DJI—makes for a good, inexpensive drone for first-time fliers. However, what elevates it above other inexpensive drones for kids is the fact that it can be programmed using Scratch, turning this toy into an educational device.
In addition, the Tello has a 720 camera that records pretty good video, and is easy to fly around. The biggest issue we had with the drone was its short 5-minute flight time, so you’ll want to stock up on a few batteries if you decide to pick it up.
- Equipped with a high-quality image processor, the Tello drone shoots incredible photos and videos. Even if you don’t know how to fly, you can record pro-level videos with EZ Shots and share them on social media from your smartphone.
- Camera features 5MP (2592×1936) photos and HD720 videos at a maximum flight time of 13 minutes.
- Tello has two antennas that make video transmission extra stable and a high-capacity battery that offers impressively long flight times.
- Thanks to all the tech that Tello’s packing, like a flight controller powered by DJI, you can perform awesome tricks with this mini drone. Flying has never been so fun and easy!
- What you get: RyzeTech Tello powered by DJI, 4x Propellers (Pair), Propeller Guards (Set), Battery, Micro USB Cable, Propeller Removal Tool
- Video capture resolution: HD 720p
- Small, fast drone
- Easy to control
- Comfortable remote control
- Scratch programming language is tricky to set up
- Short battery life
Blade Nano QX RTF – Best drone under $300
Flight Time: 8 minutes | Camera: No | Smartphone Controlled: No | FAA Registration: Not Required | Indoor Use: Yes | Rotors: 4 (2 blades per rotor, replaceable) | Size: 5.5 x 5.5 x 2 inches | Weight: 0.6 ounces
Looking for an inexpensive drone to learn the basics? The Blade Nano QX is the best drone for the job, offering a great selection of features for the flier who wants more without spending more than $50. The no-frills Blade Nano QX RTF lacks a camera, but it’s fast and maneuverable.
We also liked its sturdy blade guards, which help keep it in one piece if it crashes into something. However, it has a short battery life of around 7-8 minutes, but through Amazon, you can purchase a pack of four batteries for around $20.
- SAFE® technology makes RC flight easy
- Spektrum™ ultra micro FPV camera installed
- Fat Shark Teleporter V4 5.8GHz headset with digital head tracking
- SpiroNET circular polarized antenna system
- Small enough to fly in any room or office
- Fun and responsive
- Simple controls
- Includes spare blades and canopy
- Short battery life
- Very sensitive to wind
We hope you enjoyed reading our Best Quadcopters & Multirotors Review Guide For 2020-2021.