Best Smart Sprinkler System Review Guide For 2020-2021 – In this review today, we shall be looking at the best smart sprinkler system, otherwise known as the Wi-Fi integrated systems. The Smart sprinkler systems are a step-up to the already popular automatic sprinkler systems.
With the Wi-Fi integrated sprinkler systems, it’s easy to achieve a lush green lawn, thanks to the “smart” scheduling system, a feature that is not common with the automatic system.
And depending on the model, a smart sprinkler system will let you take advantage of several smart features such as water scheduling, app control, local weather integration, zoning irrigation and more.
Here’s a list of the best 5 smart sprinkler systems in our Best Smart Sprinkler System Review Guide For 2020-2021 in the market.
Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller – Our Top Pick
The Rachio 3 is a second-generation Sprinkler controller that replaces the Rachio 2.
It’s among the most intelligent smart sprinkler controllers in the market and is currently topping our list because it offers a ton of easy-to-use options and isn’t intimidating to install.
Features and Benefits:
Intelligent Weather Software:
One of the distinguishing features on the Rachio 3 is the intelligent weather software that ensures that it only runs at opportune times.
By leveraging on the hyperlocal weather data, this sprinkler system determines the weather conditions of your exact location and then adjusts the schedule accordingly.
This way, you don’t have to worry about losing water when it’s raining, windy, or during any other inappropriate times.
The pre-programmed watering schedules, which are optimized for your location, give you precise control over all the different zones you need to water without needing your input.
The smart schedule, for instance, will maintain your property based on your lawns’ specific needs, including local weather, soil type, sun exposure, type of plants, and more.
A case in point, if there’re high winds or temperatures have dropped below freezing, then the sprinkler will wait until the conditions let up.
The good thing with this system is that it cuts across all the 16 zones, and will ensure that you never waste your resources when it’s unnecessary.
Rachio 3 is compatible with an extensive range of platforms, including iOS and Android operating systems.
The good thing with the app is that users can control everything remotely. Provided you’ve a phone, laptop, or desktop; you don’t need to be at home to be in control of your gardening’s watering schedule.
Once the Rachio app is up and running, it’s easy to track all the metrics, including estimated water usage, and even keep tabs on the upcoming schedules.
Better yet, it’s compatible with both Google Assistant and Alexa, and so, with this sprinkler system, you don’t need to touch your phone since you can activate or stop the system via voice command.
Ease of Installation:
With such a huge inventory of features, it’s easy to think that setting up this controller is a hassle.
Surprisingly, however, installing the Rachio 3 is a cinch and can be done in 30 minutes or less, without requiring any special tools.
While the sprinkler systems don’t need to get a WaterSense certification, EPA asserts that the certified products are 20% more efficient than the average product.
Sure, it’s nothing to get obsessed about, but it’s reassuring to know that Rachio 3 will deliver measurable water savings results.
One small issue with this water sprinkler is that the time occasionally becomes confused with weather data, therefore initiating watering at inappropriate times.
The good news is, the system is under constant updates, and it’s being ironed out as we speak.
The real drawback with this controller is the high admission price, but if you look at the bigger picture, it’s not expensive since it’s likely to pay itself by saving water and reducing your utility bills.
Now, besides the few minor glitches, there’s a lot to love about the Rachio 3, and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for efficiency in their lawn watering process.
- Save money and water! See up to 30-50% savings on your monthly water bill!
- Avoid watering in the rain. Exclusive weather intelligence plus automatically skips unnecessary watering with features like rain skip, wind skip, freeze skip, and more.
- Control from anywhere with the easy-to-use app. Run sprinklers, view upcoming schedules, and observe your estimated outdoor water usage.
- Experience fast DIY installation. Rachio Smart sprinkler controllers replace 99% of existing sprinkler controllers. Install in 30 minutes or less with no special tools needed. Our in-app installation tutorial helps you get online and watering in no time!
- Deliver all the water your plants need; no more, No less. Rachio creates tailored Smart schedules based on the specific needs of your lawn, including plant type, soil type, sun exposure, and more.
- Adapts to conditions
- Allows you to control remotely
- Easy to use
Orbit 57950 B-hyve – Best Budget
The Orbit B-hyve is a budget option smart sprinkler controller and an ideal option for those who are looking to upgrade their existing controller to something with more functionality.
Like the Rachio 3, this unit is designed with a whole range of useful features.
Features and Benefits:
Durable and Secure:
A unique element with this model is that it can be used both indoors and outdoors.
A waterproof casing keeps this sprinkler from getting damaged from the elements and it’s easy to set it up anywhere in the outdoors and rest be assured you will not compromise on its structural integrity.
The corrosion-resistant terminals help to add to the rugged nature of this controller.
Weather Sensing Technology:
B-Hyve incorporates a weather sensing technology that automatically adjusts the watering pattern depending on the external factors such as sunlight level, shade, slope, and wind.
Another good thing about this system is that it gives you the option of choosing your preferred weather feed.
For instance, if you’re in the rural area with a few local services, you can rely on the general NOOA feed. On the other hand, if you’re in a metropolitan area, you can choose the weather feed from your local weather station.
Either way, the importance of this feature cannot be overemphasized as it allows better irrigation and will let you make customized and personal adjustments based on your locality.
This this system best suited for delivering water where it’s needed most.
Under the hood of the B-Hyve, you’ll find a control panel with a fully functional LCD.
The control panel paves the way for more manual control, contrary to what you would find with a majority of the sprinkler systems.
Of interest, however, is the timer that lets you set the watering sessions for each of the individual zones.
In particular, we were impressed with the “rain delay” option button, a feature that will let the system to skip watering for an entire day.
While none of the above manual controls are necessary, especially given B-Hyve’s app control, but if you’re like me who likes to mix both the old-school and new technology, I am glad I always have an option with the B-Hyve.
B-hyve compatibility extends to both the Android and iOS platforms.
The manufacturer also provides a web-based app, and so, it’s easy to make adjustments or even monitor the performance of your sprinkler remotely.
Unfortunately, however, unlike the Rachio 3 that offers plenty of options when it comes to the individual virtual assistants, B-Hyve is only limited to Alexa for voice control.
Either way, it’s not much of a deal-breaker, considering that it works well with a majority of popular apps and systems.
EPA WaterSense Approval:
The EPA WaterSense Approval is another unique benefit that adds to the B-Hyve’s already impressive portfolio.
The approval will not only save your resources but will also pave the way for local rebates.
In relation to saving, the B-Hyve lets you integrate catch cups, which the manufacturer claims can save up to 50% of water, something that I’ve to admit is a challenge to achieve with regular traditional sprinklers.
- ULTIMATE WIFI AND TIMER CONTROL – The B-hyve app is fully functional for Android, iOS or web devices and gives you control wherever you need it. Program your timer on the app, at the timer, or let the weather-based software create a program for you.
- SMART WATERING – Weather Sense technology provides watering based on site conditions such as slope, soil type, sun/shade, historical ET and live weather feeds. It automatically adjusts your controller to deliver the right amount of water to your plants.
- EASY TO INSTALL AND USE – Utilize the swing panel for easy access to the angled wiring terminals, which makes wiring simple and convenient and the plug-and-go line cord that can also be cut for hardwired applications.App Compatibility- iOS – iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch running iOS 8 and higher. Android – Android version 4.3 and higher
- CERTIFIED TO SAVE WATER AND MONEY – B-hyve is EPA WaterSense approved and certified, ensuring it will save you water and energy. This can also make your B-hyve timer eligible for local rebates, which can save up to 100% of the cost on your timer.
- DURABILITY AND SECURITY – The Orbit B-hyve Wi-Fi sprinkler timer comes in a weather-resistant case, allowing you to mount your timer indoors or outdoors without risk of weather damage and a locking cabinet that keeps your timer safe from harm.
- WATER SAVINGS – Integrate your B-hyve timer with use of Catch Cups (Orbit 26250) to save up to 50% more water than with traditional controllers. Optimize the way you water, so you can keep everything lush and green without breaking the bank. Pump and sensor compatible
- VOICE CONTROL – Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately). Visit help.orbitbhyve.com/alexa-commands/ for a quick guide on how you can use your B-hyve with Alexa to control your watering with a simple phrase.
- USE WITH 110V ONLY – Compatible and compliant only with North American electrical outlets. International versions are available for markets outside North America.
- Extended compatibility
- Weatherproof case
- Voice control is limited to Alexa
Netro Smart Sprinkler Controller – Best Value
Netro Smart Wi-Fi is quite an incredible sprinkler system, and in my opinion, it was specifically designed for effortless use in residential irrigation.
It’s a fully automatic option and will help to reduce unnecessary water usage while keeping your garden healthy.
Features and Benefits:
Netro Smart is a six-zone unit, fully automated to take care of everything for you.
With this unit, you simply have to leave it, and it will automatically respond to the local conditions while providing optimum care and appropriate watering cycle for your garden.
Generally, what it means is that your lawn will be treated to more water during the dry season, but at the same time, the water supply will be cut short during the rainier conditions.
The restriction awareness is probably the distinguishing feature of this sprinkler system.
This feature allows Netro Smart to detect the locality of installation, and more importantly, adhere to the local water restrictions.
What it means is that if you’re in an area where water is limited to certain days or even banned, Netro Smart will automatically comply with the rules to ensure you don’t inadvertently break the law.
Installation of Netro Smart is a faff, and you won’t need the services of a professional to get it done.
Out of the box, this sprinkle system should be ready for use in approximately 15 minutes.
Netro Smart, give users plenty of functionality and convenience for controlling your lawn’s watering cycle.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re at home or away, because this modern and high-tech solution will let you have a total grip on your lawn watering.
While the Netro Smart does require a Wi-Fi connection for a seamless operation, it can easily be controlled remotely through the Netro App.
Unfortunately, the app is only available for Android and iOS, but not available for PC.
The good thing is that it’s compatible with Google Home and Alexa, and so, it easy to operate it through voice commands control.
That said, I’ve to admit that the Android app isn’t the most user-friendly app, and it leaves a lot to be desired.
Secondly, it’s unfortunate that the app doesn’t send notifications to your phone.
- Fully Automatic – EPA WaterSense certified, dynamically creates and adjusts watering schedules optimized for your plants/lawns
- Lifetime Cloud Service – Connects to WiFi(2.4G), monitors and controls your sprinkler system anywhere from iOS(8.3+), Android(5.0+) devices and Web browsers
- Eco Friendly – Save up to 50% of your outdoor water use with advanced water saving technologies including weather forecasting and historical statistics
- Water Restriction – Alerts and auto complies to the watering rules in your local area
- Easy Installation – Installs or replaces in around 15 minutes with basic tools. No professionals required. Indoor use only
- Water restriction awareness
- Fully schedule watering services
- Remote control
- app doesn’t send notifications to phone
Aeon Matrix Yardian – Best Multi-Functional
Yardian is an incredible sprinkler system for anyone who wants to let go of the stress and hassle that comes with caring lawns and flowers.
Better yet, it’s an ideal option for those who would appreciate the extra peace of mind that comes with the ability to monitor their yard from anywhere visually.
Features and Benefits:
Weather Sensing Technology:
Like many other Wi-Fi-enabled sprinkler systems on our list, the core functionality of this model is based on real-time monitoring.
The weather-sensing technology helps the sprinkler system to adapt to the current conditions without your intervention.
For instance, if it’s rainy, the sprinkler will limit the amount of water it supplies to your grass, and conversely, it will increase the water supply during drought.
Besides the rain, the Yardian takes into consideration plenty of other elements, including the soil types, moisture content, and more.
When in use, you’ll realize that this system will end up saving on the water resources, and more importantly, optimizing the water supply.
Similar to the Netro Controller, Yardian features a water restriction awareness that will always keep you up to speed with the locality requirements on water usage.
First, the unit will detect the exact location of installation, and from here, it will adhere to the local water restrictions.
This way, if your locality restricts the usage or supply of water on certain days, then this sprinkler system will adhere to the rules and will ensure that you’re not on the wrong side of the law.
A unique element on the Yardian Sprinkler is the built-in camera function that gives you a visual update of everything that is going in your yard even when you’re away.
Both the control and the camera functions on the Yardian are easily accessible remotely through a smartphone or even a tablet app.
Better yet, it’s fully compatible with Alexa, and so, it offers the possibility of controlling each of the individual zones by voice command.
Combines, these components make it easy for you to adjust the watering programs and even see what’s going on back at home, wherever you are.
The bane with many smart devices is they normally malfunction once the Wi-Fi goes down.
With the Yardian, however, you’ll benefit from the cloud-based storage that will keep the device running even when the network fails.
However, with the products offering so much, most of the users so far find it a tad challenging to set everything up satisfactorily.
It’s quite understandable, considering Yardian is still a relatively new product in the market, and the software on this model is still evolving.
- SAVE WATER, SAVE MONEY – Water is being wasted on a regular basis. With Yardian, you can be the change by saving up to 50% of water used to irrigate your yard while still maintaining a lush and green garden.
- REAL TIME WEATHER MONITORING – Avoid watering in the rain with Yardian as it provides optimal watering schedules by analyzing real time local weather data and forecasts with pin-point accuracy.
- SMART HOME READY – Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home to control each zone or adjust your water scheduling.
- HD SECURITY CAMERA – Yardian is the world’s first multi-functional smart device capable of both smart irrigation and surveillance. With a built in HD Camera, monitor your yard day or night.
- 15 MINUTE INSTALLATION – Changing to Yardian Smart Sprinkler system can be installed by anyone in 15 minutes or less. Our customer service agents are ready and waiting in case you run into any issues or questions.
- WaterSense EPA approved
- Restriction awareness
- Visual monitoring
- A tad sophisticated
RainMachine Pro-8 – Most Compact
If you’re looking for a compact and unobtrusive water sprinkler system, the Rain Machine, an eight-zone controller, might fit the bill.
However, despite the compact stature, it’s quite functional and will provide you with all the essentials you need to monitor and control your lawn-watering system remotely.
Features and Benefits:
Like with most of the smart sprinkler systems, the Rain Machine watering schedule is based on real-time weather reports.
With this smart sprinkler system, you get free and direct access to weather reports from providers such as Open Weather Map, NOOA, METNO, and more.
Whatever provider you choose, this sprinkler will let you pinpoint the exact weather accuracy that helps to refine how water is scheduled.
Like the Yardian System, this controller is cloud-based, and so, in case your Wi-Fi crashes, you can still use the device, since all of your data is stored locally.
The Rain Machine compatibility spans across a range of platforms, and the accompany Rain Machine app is compatible with iOS, Android, and web-based browsers.
Better yet, this unit is compatible with Alexa, and so, it’s easier to use voice commands for added convenience.
With compatibility with several platforms, it’s easier to monitor and control your watering systems, wherever you are.
- CLOUD INDEPENDENT – All personal data stored locally. Rain Machine continues to work even when Wi-Fi is down.
- 8 ZONES + MASTER VALVE – Rain and flow connector. Wi-Fi & 10/100 Ethernet. 1. 77″ Color touch screen.
- SMART SCHEDULE & SAVE WATER – Save water with real-time weather adjustments (Epa WaterSense certified, check for rebates).
- FREE WEATHER DATA – Direct access to NOAA, METNO or , Open Weather Map, NetAtmo. Use National or Personal Weather Stations for pinpoint accuracy.
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE – Color touch screen, iPhone, and Android, PC browser access with dashboard stats. Access from home, work or vacation.
- Compatible with Android, Alexa, and iOS
- Schedules around significant weather changes
- Won’t work with 5GHz networks
Best Smart Sprinkler System Buying Guide For 2020-2021
There’re different types as well as models of irrigation systems in the market. Despite trimming our list to the best five, it can still be a challenge to make a pick. Fortunately, in the section below, we shall outline some of the core features that you should look out for when purchasing a smart sprinkler system.
Top Considerations for Buying a Smart Sprinkler System:
Real-Time Weather Integration:
The weather integration is the landmark elements of a good system because by automatically syncing with the weather feeds in your area, your system will optimize the water usage depending on the existing conditions.
With the weather integration, for instance, you can conserve water by stopping the watering during a downpour.
Most of the quality sprinklers normally have multiple “zones,” which help the system in designating the individual stations.
For instance, if one area is often exposed to direct sun, the particular station in that zone might provide more water than other zones.
Generally, a majority of the household sprinkler systems have 2-9 zones, while the commercial or public yard can be divided up to 48 zones.
Ease of Installation:
With some of the smart home technology getting complicated by the day, you should consider the ease of use on each model.
EPA WaterSense and SWAT Certification:
Certification is essential for water sprinklers, and depending on your location, certification can help to save on energy as well as water bills.
With the Smart sprinkler systems, convenience is the name of the game. With these automated systems, it’s now easier to optimize the gardening process, and more importantly, at your convenience. It doesn’t matter whether you’re at work or even on a business trip, these systems will let you feel as if you’re at home and in control. We hope you enjoyed reading our Best Smart Sprinkler System Review Guide For 2020-2021.