Best All Weather Traveling Sprinkler Review Guide For 2021-2022
Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler – Editor’s Pick
The 58322 is the best Orbit traveling sprinkler ever that gives you the ability to choose just the right watering solution for your lawn.
Made from durable and heavy materials like cast iron, the traveling sprinkler can last for years and perform consistently. During operating, it uses water pressure to move around, follow the hose route that you customize. However, unlike other models on the market, it has a three-speed control that allows you to adjust how fast your sprinkler travels. The higher the speed is, the more water it sprays.
58322 Orbit traveling sprinkler also gives you the chance to control the water coverage. The whirling arms can reach spray coverage from 15 to 55-feet diameter, cover both large areas or small. For large spray, it can cover up to 13,500 square feet along 200 feet of hose – an impressive coverage that rarely other models can catch up with.
Plus, the auto-shutoff function could stop the water automatically by using the ramp along the hose length.
- SELF-PROPELLED SPRINKLER: Create a custom path for the sprinkler to follow using your 5/8-inch garden hose.
- LARGE-AREA COVERAGE: Spray coverage up to 13,500 square feet along 200 feet of hose.
- THREE POSITION SPEED CONTROL: Select from high, low, or neutral stationary settings to control the saturation level of your lawn.
- ADJUSTABLE COVERAGE: Simply twist each spray arm to adjust the watering diameter from 15 feet to a maximum coverage of 55 feet.
- AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF: Use the ramp stop at any location along the hose length to turn off the sprinkler and prevent water waste.
- Made with durable and heavy materials
- Three-speed setting
- Large and adjustable water coverage
- Personalize water route with hose
- Automatic shutoff function to prevent water waste
- Easy to set up
- Plastic parts hold up well
- Weights a lot because of its cast-iron body and could be bogged down if the garden is overwatered
- Some parts still are made of plastic
- Slower speed options
- Limit the number of bends in the hose so that the sprinkler doesn’t tip
Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain, 818653-1001
Nelson raintrain traveling sprinkler is one of the first sprinklers to be available on the market. So far, it’s still considered one of the best-rated sprinkler systems that popular with gardeners.
For the design, it also comes up with a waterproof cast iron body like other sprinklers. The three-speed control method, adjustable spray arms and auto-shutoff function work as well as the Orbit one providing you numerous options to deal with your lawn. Since everything is flexible to control, you can set up your sprinkler however you want to suit your soil type and water solution.
To be particularly, the Nelson water coverage distance varies from 15ft to 55ft depending on the area that you need to be covered. This traveling sprinkler is capable to cover about 13,500 square feet and works fine in fairly steep gardens.
However, the component part of the sprinkler that made of plastic seems to hold up not as good as the orbit one. It’s still a point to consider.
- Cast-iron body with chip resistant, powder-coat paint
- Coverage up to 13,500 square feet
- Travels up to 200 feet
- Adjustable aluminum spray arms provide coverage range from 15 feet to 55 feet in diameter
- Automatic shut-off
- Can travel up to 200 feet and cover as much as 13,500 square feet
- Long lasting Cast-iron body
- Solid cast iron body to make the sprinkler last
- Automatic shutoff to cut off water waste
- Three-speed control
- Large and adjustable water coverage
- Won’t get stuck on uneven surfaces
- Can customize water path and pattern.
- Spray arms are adjustable
- Some parts such as the gears are made of plastic and can’t hold up well
- Wheels often auto-lock
- Seems to be overpowered by high water pressure
- Difficult to configure according to some customers
Melnor 4501 Traveling Sprinkler Lawn Rescue
The Melnor comes to the market with a rare feature: high traction wheels in order to help prevent slipping, even on slopes or across boggy terrain. This ensures the sprinkler to keep on moving around your lawn no matter how lumpy it could be along with the hose.
Other features of the Melnor design also make your gardening life far more enjoyable and easier than moving a traditional sprinkler around day by day. With the adjustable speed control for precise watering, adjustable spray arms covering the diameter from 15 feet up to 50 feet and a large coverage area – up to 13,500 sq. Ft, the water solution is easy to decide with the Melnor. The fact that you can set up this sprinkler to your personal expectations and need is a big selling point.
Besides, Melnor one is a self-propelled sprinkler that follows a path you personalize to fit your garden and automatically shuts off when finished. It means you can set it up in the morning and leave the house for your other tasks knowing that it will turn itself off once the job is done.
- Self-propelled sprinkler follows a path you create using your existing garden hose and automatically shuts off when finished
- Super large coverage area – up to 13, 500 sq. Ft.
- Change the water spray with high or low speed control or set it at neutral for stationary watering
- Adjustable spray arms adjust diameter spray coverage from 15 feet up to 50 feet
- High traction wheels prevent slipping, even on slopes
- Rotary spray for even water coverage, heavy-duty cast iron construction will last for years
- Melnor will donate a Portion of each purchase of a lawn Rescue traveling sprinkler to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation
- Backed by a Melnor Lifetime Limited Warranty. Melnor stands behind their products
- Heavy-duty cast iron construction that waterproof and lasts for years
- Adjustable and rotary water spray
- Variable speed settings
- Automatic shutoff feature
- High traction wheels make sure the Melnor keeps on moving
- Internal parts made of plastic that limits the lifespan of the sprinkler
- Can’t attach too much hose or the sprinkler could be stuck and stop working
- The wheelbase might be small and tends to fall over
RainCoach Self-Propelled – Best Durable Travelling Sprinkler
The Raincoach traveling sprinkler is one of the most durable sprinklers that you can find on the market. The whole sprinkler is made of brass, stainless steel, corrosion-resistant cast metal, and rubber tires – not even any plastic parts. This ensures your machine will last as long as your garden exists.
Along with the well-constructed body, it also provides various options for watering your ground. With a large coverage range from 110 – 145 feet (wide) by 450 feet long and rotating sweep arms, it can evenly distribute the water to your lawn without making it soggy. And it also includes 6 nozzles for varying water pressure and coverage situations (11.5 to 22.4 gpm., 55 to 75 psi). When it’s done, automatically it will shut-off to prevent excess water.
It’s best to use at schools, parks, or other large space, where in-ground sprinkler heads are not permitted or desired.
- Easy to operate self-propelled traveling sprinkler, provides irrigation to large open areas
- Combines 3/4-inch brass impact head and rotating sweep arms for full, even coverage
- Angling the sweep arms controls speed/irrigation levels (arm span is 4 feet and 9 inches)
- Operating ranges 110 – 145 feet wide coverage x 450 feet run length
- Includes 6 nozzles for varying pressure and coverage situations (11.5 to 22.4 gpm., 55 to 75 psi)
- Heavy construction that makes the sprinkler lasts
- Self-propelled, adjustable water coverage and nozzles
- High water pressure
- Suitable for super large space
- Auto shutoff function
- The heavy body can easily get stuck on soft dirt
- Only suitable for super large space, not too popular for home-purchasing
Watex WX44 Traveling Sprinkler
The Watex model is the best-rated product in the range of low water pressure operations. It can operate on as little PSI as 20 or even the lowest water pressure to travel across your lawn ensuring that the lawn gets much-needed water.
There are only two-speed control settings on the Watex. However, it can travel up to 13,500 square feet and the fact that you can adjust the path as well as the coverage diameter of the Watex results in a product that will cover most of your lawn with ease. And if you live in a high water pressure zone, it can run as fast as you can imagine.
Besides, the all-terrain wheels give the sprinkler the ability to pull itself up a gentle slope or rough surface. The chances of it becoming stalled are limited.
- Watex Traveling sprinkler ranked #1 Sprinkler by ezvid
- New Model – Durable construction, Ideal for extra large lawns; Self-Propelled, Superior water distribution, Automatic shut-off
- Recommended Water Pressure- 20 to 120 PSI / Water coverage to 13,500 sq. ft., travels up to 200 ft.
- Ideal size recommended for the hose is 1/2″ / Shut-off ramp stops sprinkler and automatically shuts off water.
- Heavy-duty die-cast iron/ Dimensions: L x W x H – 19″x10.5″x11.5″
- Suitable for low water pressure areas
- All-terrain wheels prevent it from becoming bogged down
- Large and adjustable coverage
- Easy to set up to your requirements
- Heavy-duty and built to last
- Only works best with a medium hose
- The plastic internals can be worn down quickly
- Not good to carry as it is quite heavy and has no handle
Gardening Supplies Rain Train Traveling Lawn Sprinkler
This Rain Train traveling sprinkler from Gardening supplies is watering equipment that made of a durable cast-iron body to last for years – as its name Rain Train.
Unlike other models on the market, the most effective range of this sprinkler is 11,900 feet, which is not a big deal for those whose garden is small. However, it still can reach up to 13,500 square feet.
You have the choice of two speeds to ensure your sprinkler will still travel well even with low pressure. But the lack of all-terrain wheels makes it difficult to travel on rough terrain with stones.
- Watering Equipment Rain Train Cast Iron Traveling Lawn Sprinkler Tractor w Auto ShutOff#0040/18
- Durable cast-iron body
- Two-speed control setting
- Adjustable water coverage range
- Has the auto-shut-off system
- Low water pressure is acceptable
- Small effective water coverage range – 11900 feet
- Can’t travel through the lumpy garden
- In a low water pressure area, it will struggle to pull 200ft
- Might get stuck in the dirt a lot
Best All Weather Traveling Sprinkler Buying Guide For 2021-2022
Benefits of a traveling sprinkler:
A smart design to save your time:
A traveling sprinkler will help you to water your lawns or garden without your moving. With smart design and auto-moving, a traveling sprinkler will go around by itself and water your lawns and garden. After setting up, the machine will work in the outlined direction automatically. You can not only set the machine to go straight but also set it to turn right or left based on the terrain.
Doing gardening is time-consuming work. But it no longer remains with a traveling sprinkler. A traditional sprinkler needs you to move it every ten minutes, but a traveling sprinkler does not. So, you can save your time to do other works or relax.
For the lazy gardeners, this is a very useful machine because what you only need is to set up the moving direction for the traveling sprinkler and then sit or lie on the bench while it watering your lawns or flowers.
Equally distribute water across your garden:
Apart from this, a good traveling sprinkler can ensure the distribution of water across your garden. The way of watering manually can not ensure every part of the garden is given the same amount of water. Traveling sprinklers use waterpower and gear to push water into lots of rays. So, it will cover all the garden, neither party gets too much or too little water.
Save cost for large gardens or yards:
Moreover, a traveling sprinkler may help you to save labor costs. If you have a large garden or you are the owner of a farm, a traveling sprinkler is the best choice for you. Instead of renting some employees and paying their wages for doing some tasks for your garden, a traveling sprinkler can be a really good replacement.
How does a traveling sprinkler work?
The basic rule:
The basic principle of the traveling sprinkler is using the force of water to push the water into the hose. Besides, the waterpower makes the gear spin, then the wheels will move.
Once you open the traveling sprinkler, the pressure is generated to push water into a hose. Inside the hose, water flows through a pipe and then gets out through sprinkler arms. The force from waterpower is assembled in the arms.
There is a specially designed part to bend this pressure, as a result, the water that gushes out of the arm curves at a certain angle. Usually, a traveling sprinkler has two opposite arms, force is acting in the opposite direction so water will flow evenly into both arms.
The transmission and speed setting:
The sprinkler arms are joined to a warmer gear, which is located inside the machine body and made of plastic. The movement of the arms makes the gear spin, this leads to the transmission.
The transmission of the gear is something like the gear train in a car, but everything happens much more slowly. Due to this transmission, the wheel can move forward in the setting direction.
There are 3 main speed settings: high, low, and neutral speed. The high-speed setting is for light watering, the low-speed setting for thorough watering, and the neutral speed setting is only for stationary watering. Some branches of traveling sprinklers may have more than three types of speed settings.
Automatic shut-off system:
When a traveling sprinkler goes to its final road, an automatic shut-off system is activated. The mechanism of this system as follows:
There is a small ramp that acts like the shut-off trigger in the traveling sprinkler. When reaching this ramp, 2 back wheels will rotate it while the front wheel goes over it.
A plunger on the bottom of the sprinkler hit the ramp, this prevents the water from flowing into the sprinkler arms. Then the traveling sprinkler will go off automatically.
How to use a traveling sprinkler?
First, put the arms into the spray and tighten them into place. To ensure the arms cannot touch the base, note to slope the arms up.
After that, attach the water hose to your source of water. Remember to direct it to the water path you want.
Then, select the suitable transmission speed setting based on your requirement of watering the garden.
Finally, turn off the traveling sprinkle when it finishes watering your garden.
How to choose the best traveling sprinkler?
Choosing the best traveling sprinkler for yourself is not very easy. There are several elements that you need to consider seriously.
The number of transmission settings:
Three settings of a standard model, which are high, neutral, and low, may meet the need for almost all watering requirements. However, if you have a really large farm or you need some additional settings, you can consider a traveling sprinkler with more than 3 transmission settings.
The size of your garden:
Even though this type of machine can help you to water all your gardens, the coverage area is not unlimited. If your garden is too large or the terrain is too difficult to move, you need to find an alternative solution.
The best traveling sprinkler is the one creating commensurate values with your budget. Based on your requirements, let’s think carefully about the best-appropriated traveling sprinkler for yourself. The most expensive traveling sprinkler is not always the best one.
The duration of a traveling sprinkler is also notable. A machine with a short lifespan requires regular repair, maintenance, or new purchases if it is impossible to fix. A durable one can help you to save all your time and money.
This is also another consideration when you want to purchase a good traveling sprinkler. There is no flexible irrigation water regulator in the traveling sprinkler. So, your water bill may rise after a certain time of using a traveling sprinkler. The resolution is to choose a traveling sprinkler with suitable sprinkler arms, which not only can limit the amount of water, but also ensure every part of the garden gets the water.
Traveling sprinklers is a lifesaver to those who are too busy to take care of their garden. To purchase the best traveling sprinklers that suit your need the most, you should consider what type of lawn you have. Most models are constructed with cast iron bodies to stay stable on the hose to move around without stalling. Other features may come in terms of speed
adjustment and spray. However, it’s down to your personal preference to pick the right product.
In most situations, home gardeners highly recommended the first one – Orbit 58322 Travelling sprinklers that work wells for many types of the yard because of its great design that provides lots of watering solutions. Thanks for taking the time to read our Best All Weather Traveling Sprinkler Review Guide For 2021-2022.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel