Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks Review Guide For 2021-2022
Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks Review Guide For 2021-2022 – Are you on the lookout for the best trolling motors on the market?
Kayak trolling motors come in handy in a variety of circumstances. A trolling motor would be quite useful if you own a kayak and don’t want to paddle back.
Seniors may like kayaking, but they may have health issues or injuries that restrict them from paddling, which is where trolling motors come in handy.
When you’re weary and don’t want to paddle any longer, or if you’re wounded or traveling for a long distance, trolling motors come in handy.
To find out even more keep reading my Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks Review Guide For 2021-2022.
Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
Minn Kota C2 30 is a low-cost trolling motor designed for kayaks, canoes, and small boats.
This 30-inch shaft 12-volt freshwater transom-mounted trolling motor is designed for freshwater usage only and should not be used in saltwater as it will cause damage to the motor within a year.
The engine on this Minn Kota trademark cool is strong, and the battery life is superb. The grip on this trolling motor is excellent, making it extremely simple to use.
It comes with a good shaft that will not break, twist, or kink over time. This trolling motor has been loved by thousands of kayakers and most people said that it lasted for a long time.
Undoubtedly the best freshwater trolling motor for kayak
- Lever lock bracket: Lever lock brackets offer a rock-solid mount.
- Telescoping handle: 6-inches telescoping handle and the twist tiller offer ergonomic speed control & steering Lightweight.
- Tilt Twist Tiller: The Endura Tilt Twist Tiller has a natural ergonomic grip that provides the best speed and steering control.
- Indestructible Composite Shaft: Many people complain about breaking the shaft. However, Minn Kota C2 30 comes with an indestructible composite shaft. It is claimed that this is stronger than steel. The chances of breaking or corrosion are close to zero. Minn Kota’s warranty policy provides a guarantee for a lifetime. Check their Guarantee policy for more.
- Power management: The Minn Kota Endura C2 30 runs cool and quietly. As a result, battery life is extended as well as motor life. On top of that, its bearing system reduces friction to prevent fish-spooking noises.
- Lever Lock Bracket offers rock-solid mount
- Telescoping handle for easy managing
- Cool and quiet power to enhance battery life
- Doesn’t spook fishes
- Thrust level 30
- 5 forward speeds & 3 forward speeds
- Perfect for freshwater
- High durability
- Indestructible composite shaft
- Can’t be used in saltwater
MinnKota Traxxis 55 Transom Mount Trolling Motor
Like other Minn Kota trolling motors, this trolling motor is made of high-quality materials and has a plethora of functions.
There are two shaft lengths available for this trolling motor: 36 inches and 42 inches. If you prefer tiny shaft trolling motors, the 36-inch shaft type is a good option.
With the aid of a 12-volt system, this freshwater compatible transom mount trolling engine produces 55 pounds of torque. Even though it appears to be simple, it is reliable for freshwater use.
Thanks to the one-hand stow mechanism, the motor can be move in and out of the water in seconds. This trolling motor is ideal for kayak fishing because it was developed specifically for fishing.
Other features include a tiller that can be tilted up to 45 degrees and extended up to 6 inches. For easy reading, there is a handy digital battery indicator on the right side of the motorhead.
- One-Hand Stow
- Steering Tension Control
- Quick-Lock Cam Depth Adjuster
- Tilt/Extend Tiller
- Push-to-Test Battery Gauge
- 36-inch shaft and 42-inch shaft
- Digital Maximizer technology for better battery life
- Digital battery indicator for easy understanding
- One-hand Stow mechanism is excellent
- The innovative collar helps adjust steering tension according to your desired level
- Tiller handle can tile up to 45 degrees and extend up to 6 inches
- Great for fishing purpose
- Excellent trolling motor for kayakers
- Up to 55 pounds of thrust
- The mounting system is easy and quick
- Speed adjustment ability
Powerful Trolling Motor: Newport Vessels NV-Series 46 lb: Saltwater
Best Trolling motor for kayak and small boats for both saltwater and freshwater usage. This is a powerful trolling motor that works awesome on both saltwater and freshwater.
With the 46lb thrust, it is perfect for versatile usage. It is perfectly designed to face almost all situations, and it is made of very high-quality raw materials. It has a shaft of 30-inch, and the coolest part is that it has 5 point LED battery meter.
With its versatile usage, it is being loved by many kayakers and small boat owners. It has an 8-speed control system that consists of 5 forward speed & 3 reverse speeds.
The shaft is made of composite fiberglass and offers excellent durability.
- EFFICIENT POWER: 46lb Thrust – this 12v electric trolling motor provides excellent power and efficiency for any boater. The high quality build allows the motor to run all day long without overheating, or making noise to spook fish.
- FEATURES: This motor features a 30 inch shaft, a 5 LED battery meter, a 6 inch telescoping tiller handle, and 3 blade propeller. The mount angle, height, and direction can all be adjusted and locked into place when needed.
- SPEED: 8 speed motor, 5 forward & 3 reverse. Motor is designed for trolling, with a top speed of 3.5mph, exact top speed depends on boat shape, weight, water, wind, & other factors. 3 blade prop provides great low end torque to get the boat moving.
- BATTERY: 46lb motor requires one (1) 12V Lead-Acid Deep Cycle or Lithium Deep Cycle battery (not included), 50ah recommended. Motor also includes a 40amp circuit breaker, recommended at all times to protect from battery voltage surges. Max Amp Draw: 40A
- QUALITY & RELIABILITY: Newport Vessels trolling motors are made with high quality materials to withstand fresh water and salt water. We stand behind every product we make with industry leading customer service and a 2 year warranty.
- 8-speed control system
- 46LB Thrust level
- LED battery meter for easy understanding
- Composite fiberglass powerful shaft
- Stainless steel hardware for longer usage
- High durability
- Versatile usage
- Suitable for both FreshWater & saltwater
- Easy to use
- Very powerful
- Slightly louder
Watersnake ASP 18 and 24 Pound Thrust 12V
If you are looking for a small trolling motor that has already proven its success in the market, choose watersnake ASP.
This great trolling motor comes in two different styles: transom mount or kayak bracket mount. It is one of the finest portable trolling motors available on the market, weighing only 4.85lbs.
Watersnake uses a simple design that keeps the weight down of this trolling motor while offering astounding quality and performance.
As mentioned above, this small trolling motor is an excellent option for small kayaks, canoes, inflatable boats, etc.
You will see a 24″ shaft, adjustable mount fitting, and anti-impact clip system on this motor.
It comes with a hand tiller with an extendable handle, high and low-speed control system, forward and reverse switch, and two blade weedless propeller design.
- STURDY SIMPLE DESIGN: Our Watersnake Venom SXW electric motors provide saltwater anglers with a versatile range of tiller-steer transom-mount motors that are loaded with clever features. The shafts on all Venom SXW motors are an extra-tough composite constructed specifically for use in saltwater marine environments. The tiller handles are telescopic for versatility, comfort and control.
- CONTROL + FEATURES: The 34lb motors have a two-blade propeller. The 54lb motors each run a three-blade propeller. All propeller shafts are stainless steel and the props have a weedless design, so you can push the boundaries during your next adventure. All the motors run on 12V power and operate with 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds, which are controlled with the tiller handle throttle.
- ELECTRIC POWER: 54 lbs. thrust, 12 Volt motor, 13-54 Amps / 34 lbs. thrust, 12 volt motor, 7.5-34 amps. Battery Not Included. Each motor is suited to boats ranging from small tenders and tinnies up to dedicated estuary and inshore sportfishing boats.
- VERSATILE TRANSOM MOUNT: The compact and stylish new Venom motor head design incorporates a new thicker ergonomic grip for the tiller handle. The new head design also includes a digital voltage meter display, so you can keep track of your battery’s condition. The grips on the alloy transom mount have also been upgraded, making it even easier to attach and secure the motor before you utilize the fast multi-tilt positioning bracket.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Necessity is the mother of invention. Created by anglers to be used by anglers. If you’re not satisfied with your Watersnake Electric Motor, contact your distributor to be taken care of.
- Neat digital readout
- The iron bottom acts like a rudder and can get you out fix in high waves.
- Some customers felt the quality of the product was very poor
Newport Vessels L-Series 86 lb Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
This is the most powerful motor coming from Newport Vessels. If you are looking for high performance, this 86lb thrust transom trolling motor got what you covered.
Despite the high-performance, it is very quiet and allows you to fish in currents, wind, and other water environments. It uses high strength and adjustable fiberglass 40-inch composite shaft, which allows proper depth placement in almost any water conditions.
There are eight speeds (5 forward and 3 reverse) available in the motor which puts total control at your fingertips for a smooth ride.
Also, the ergonomic extendable handle makes it even better. As mentioned earlier, this is a saltwater trolling motor, and the corrosion-resistant stainless steel hardware ensures that it is ready for any environment.
The 10-point super bright LED battery indicator shows the immediate charge level for easy understanding.
- EFFICIENT POWER: 86lb Thrust – this 24v electric trolling motor provides excellent power and efficiency for any boater. The high quality build allows the motor to run all day long without overheating, or making noise to spook fish.
- FEATURES: This motor features a 40 inch shaft, a 5 LED battery meter, a 6 inch telescoping tiller handle, and 3 blade propeller. The mount angle, height, and direction can all be adjusted and locked into place when needed.
- SPEED: This motor has 8 speeds, 5 forward and 3 reverse. The motor is designed for trolling, so the top speed of this motor is about 4.5mph, but depends on your boat shape, weight, water, wind, and other factors. Our 3 Blade Propeller gives the motor great low end torque to get the boat moving.
- BATTERY: The L Series 86lb motor requires two (2) 12V Lead-Acid Deep Cycle or Lithium Deep Cycle battery (battery not included), 50ah recommended. The motor also includes a 50amp circuit breaker which is recommended at all times to protect from battery voltage surges. Max Amp Draw: 48A
- QUALITY & RELIABILITY: All Newport motors are made to high quality stainless steel, magnesium, and zinc hardware to withstand fresh water and salt water environments. We stand behind every product we make with industry leading customer service and a 2 year warranty.
- Maximum performance: 86ln thrust
- Ultra-quiet cool operating allows you to fish in almost all water
- High-strength and adjustable 40-inch fiberglass composite shaft
- 8 speeds (5 forward and 3 reverse)
- Six-inch ergonomic extendable telescoping handle
- Stainless steel hardware won’t corrode
- 10-point Super bright LED battery meter/indicator
- Durability could be better
Newport Vessels X-Series 55lb Thrust
Powerful Trolling Motor for Big Kayak or Boat: This is one of the most powerful trolling motors which is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater. This heavy-duty trolling motor has a thrust of 55lb.
It is made of stainless steel hardware which makes it very durable. It is 30 Degree adjustable with the 6-inch telescoping handle. It has 8 speeds where 5 is for forward and 3 is for reverse.
This trolling motor has the biggest shaft in this list: 36 inches. It fits on all inflatable boats, kayaks, canoe. If you love fishing, then you should get it as it is the best trolling motor for fishing boats. This is very powerful, and you can roam easily to make good fishing.
- 55lb thrust
- 36 inch composite fiberglass high-strength shaft with heavy duty nylon mount
- 8 speeds (5 forward & 3 reverse) – DC 12V
- 10-Point LED Battery Meter – This super bright LED display provides immediate charge reading of your DC 12V Lead-Acid Deep Cycle or Marine Battery (battery not included)
- USA SERVICE: Newport Vessels is based in California with a full in-house customer service team (M-F 9am-5pm PST). BUY IN CONFIDENCE
- We stand behind every product we make with industry leading customer service and a 2 YEAR WARRANTY
- Very powerful
- Composite Fiberglass high-strength 36-inch shaft
- 6-inch telescoping handle
- Stainless steel hardware for both saltwater and freshwater usage
- Suitable for big kayak and boats
- 8 Speeds
- thrust 55lb
- High-quality material used
- Slightly expensive for small kayak owners
Watersnake ASP Salt Water Transom Mount Trolling Motor
This is undoubtedly one of the best trolling motors for kayak & canoe. This trolling motor is suitable for saltwater. This small trolling motor is a very good fit for the kayaks and canoe.
With 24 inch shaft and 24-pound thrust, this trolling motor looks very cool on kayaks. This trolling motor is specifically designed for kayaks and inflatable boats.
There is a high and low-speed control which makes it super easy to control it. The price of this lightweight trolling motor for kayak is really cheap (check the lowest price here).
No matter whether you love to fish on a kayak or looking for a tour you can do with this trolling motor. This Watersnake trolling motor is made of very good raw materials and it keeps very quiet on the water.
- Light weight: 6.7 lbs.
- 24 pounds of thrust / 12V / 24″ Shaft / 24 Amp draw at max speed
- Salt water motor with anti-corrosive paint and stainless steel external & internal parts allow you to take this motor into fresh, brackish and salt water without worry
- High and low speed / Forward and Reverse Switch / Fixed Tiller
- 1 Year Warranty against manufacturer defects. Battery not included.
- Specifically designed for kayak and inflatable boats
- Easy to control
- Very quiet on the water
Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks Buying Guide For 2021-2022
While choosing the trolling motors you need to check whether it fits your criteria or not.
- If you want to use the trolling motor on saltwater, then you should purchase a trolling motor that can sustain the saltwater. Saltwater trolling motors can be used in freshwater also
- If you want to use the trolling motor only on freshwater, then you should purchase the freshwater trolling motor.
What To Consider Before Buying A Kayak Trolling Motor:
Having a good trolling motor can make the sport of fishing even more fun, it allows you to catch bigger fish and more of them, which enables you to have more fun when out fishing.
A lot of people do not realize they need a trolling motor to fish; large boats have noisy motors that scare off the fish, and their motors are not made to idle at a low, consistent speed.
For this reason, you will need a trolling motor, which runs a lot quieter than the standard motor on a boat.
The electric trolling motors in this buying guide are made of stainless steel aluminum alloy; which is a very heavy-duty material. These trolling motors are made to last and are indestructible.
Constructing these trolling motors out of stainless steel is an excellent way to prevent corrosion, whether you are fishing in saltwater and freshwater.
When you buy a trolling motor, you want it to have the maximum thrust power that your fishing boat or kayak can handle. Thrust comes in the following: 36, 40, 46, 50, 55, 60, and 86 pounds.
When you’re purchasing a trolling motor, you will want to consider the size of your boat and the conditions you may be fishing in to decide how much thrust you need.
Electric trolling motors in this buying guide operate on a standard 12V battery.
Many come with an LED battery light tester that allows the user to know how much battery power they have remaining without the battery dying.
It is critical that you have a battery power life indicator; you would not want to get stuck out on the water with a dead battery just because you were not aware that the power was getting low.
The trolling motors in this buyer’s guide have eight speeds: 5 forward and 3 reverse.
As a buyer of one of these trolling motors, you should look for a motor that operates efficiently on all forward and reverse speeds.
The majority of these trolling motors in this guide can be used in freshwater or salt water. These have the ability to tilt easily in and out of the water.
In concluding this buyer’s guide, the above electric trolling motors are the top seven models on the market today.
Each has sufficient speed, battery life, and propeller power to make your fishing trip easier and more enjoyable.
Trolling Motor’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How do I convert thrust to horsepower?
A. A common misconception is that the more pounds of thrust you have, the faster the boat will go. But when it comes to trolling motors and outboard motors, the speed of the boat is dependent on the horsepower and propeller pitch. When the prop pitch is altered, you trade it for top speed.
Q. How important is the selection of a battery for a kayak motor usage?
A. A vital part of your motor system is the battery. Therefore, when choosing a battery for your electric motor, you should choose a deep cycle marine battery of superior class. Unlike automobile batteries, the deep cycle marine batteries are made to run to a discharged state and then be recharged. For optimum results, you should re-charge the battery on your trolling motor after every use.
Q. What type of battery is needed for my trolling motor?
A. A 12-volt, 50 Amp hours, deep cycle marine battery is the type of battery that is recommended for a trolling motor.
Q. How many 12-volt batteries are needed to run my trolling motor?
A. For a 36, 46, 55, and 62 pound thrust motor you will need one 12-volt battery; an 86 pound thrust motor requires two 12-volt batteries.
Q. Can my kayak trolling motor be used in saltwater?
A. Yes. A trolling motor that is made of stainless steel and zinc hardware can be used in saltwater.
Q. Can I run a 24-volt motor off of a 12-volt battery?
A. Yes. However, even though it will not damage the motor to do this, it will significantly affect performance.
Q. Electric power ratings are in pounds of thrust; therefore, how do I determine the thrust requirements for my boat?
A. The size and weight of your boat determine the amount of thrust needed. When you select a motor, a good rule of thumb is to select two pounds of thrust for every 100 pounds your boat weighs when completely loaded. If you often fish in areas of high winds, rivers, or other weather conditions that are adverse, then you will want to buy a higher thrust motor–it is always a wise choice to have too much power rather than discover later you do not have enough!
Q. Do the LED lights on the trolling head remain lit all the time? Does this run down the battery?
A. The LED lights do remain lit; however, they have little effect on the life of the battery.
I hope this review guide helps you to find the best electrical trolling motor for your kayak, canoe or small boats.
If you are kayaking in saltwater, I will highly suggest you get one that is compatible with saltwater.
Otherwise, it will corrode and stop working soon. Since most kayaks are lightweight, most trolling motors will suffice your need.
Thanks for taking the time to read my Best Trolling Motors For Kayaks Review Guide For 2021-2022.
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel