The Most Popular Gas Powered Water Pumps Review Guide For 2022-2023
The Most Popular Gas Powered Water Pumps Review Guide For 2022-2023 – From dewatering to irrigation pumps, water pumps come in a large variety of types and uses. These versatile pumps are capable of moving water quickly and efficiently. However, not every model is made the same – there are vast differences in quality and features across the board.
Fortunately, we’ve spent a good amount of time researching the top gas powered water pumps on the market today. These pumps are made to the highest level of quality but are still available at a reasonable price. To check them out keep reading The Most Popular Gas Powered Water Pumps Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Honda General Centrifugal Water Pump GX12 Amazon’s Choice
Honda General Centrifugal Water Pump GX12 at a Glance:
- Engine Size: 118cc
- GPM: 164
- Intake: 2 inch
- Extras: Cast iron volute
Honda is clearly one of the most reputable brands in the world, due to their incredible innovation, cutting-edge technology, and reputation you can really trust.
That’s displayed perfectly here, with their General Purpose 2-Inch Centrifugal Water Pump with GX12 118cc Series Commercial Grade Engine.
Often considered to be the best gas powered water pump, we had to start our guide off with it.
When it comes to a brand like Honda, you can feel confident spending a little more knowing that you’re going to get a longer life and better operation out of it.
The OHV commercial engine you see here is incredibly easy to start up, even if you have little to no experience with these pumps.
Offering a crazy amount of power, it’s more than capable to take on even the most challenging conditions and situations.
The WB20’s Honda-designed, 4 vane impeller only adds onto this, offering wonderful performance with high efficiency.
As we said before, you can count on this model lasting you for longer than the norm.
Featuring abrasion-resistant, silicone carbide seals, heavy-duty jobs are no problem as they’re designed for extended wear and tear.
Finally, you get a rigid mount, cast iron volute which lowers the appearance of case wear, further extending the life of this pump.
- OHV COMMERCIAL ENGINE – The durable Honda GX series commercial grade engine is easy starting and provides ample power for the toughest conditions.
- ISOLATION MOUNTED ENGINE AND PUMP – High performance mounts minimize vibration, keeping the pump from
- 4 VANE HIGH EFFICIENCY IMPELLER – The WB20’s exclusive, Honda-designed 4 vane impeller offers improved performance and high efficiency.
- DURABLE – The WB20 features abrasion-resistant silicone-carbide seals for extended wear.
- CAST IRON VOLUTE – The rigid-mount cast iron volute reduces case wear, increasing the life of the pump.
DuroMax OHV 4-Cycle Portable Water Pump
DuroMax OHV 4-Cycle Portable Water Pump at a Glance:
- Engine Size: 208cc
- GPM: 220
- Intake: 3 inch
- Extras: Hose connector kit, oil funnel, spark plug wrench, tool set
If you’re on the hunt for the best water transfer pump in terms of the biggest bang for your buck, look no further than the DuroMax OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Water Pump.
This model initially caught our attention due to the mountains of incredibly positive reviews it received from real life consumers and kept our attention due to its wonderful performance.
While the honda was undoubtedly strong and powerful, this model takes it to a new level should you need it.
With capabilities of up to an impressive 220 gallons per minute, you’ll be able to help minimize flooding damage or drain swimming pools in minutes.
The 1 gallon gas tank has a 2.4-hour run time, which is also notably substantial.
While we know you’re not looking around to see which is the most attractive pump out there, we really did enjoy the bright blue color which also made it easier to spot while in storage as well.
The 1 gallon gas tank has a 2.4-hour run time, which is also notably substantial.
The EPA-approved model scored so high not only due to overall high output but because of how safe it was to use.
We felt confident and secure while using it, and knowing it is EPA Approved only furthered that.
The back flow check valve was incredibly helpful, to boot, along with the automatic low oil shut off to help avoid any accidents or mishaps.
If that weren’t enough, you also get everything you could need already included.
An intake hose end strainer, threaded hose end connectors, hose clamps, and a tool kit with a plug wrench are all there for you to use.
- 1 Gallon Gas Tank/2.4 Hour Run Time
- Back Flow Check Valve
- Includes intake hose end strainer, threaded hose end connectors, hose clamps, and tool kit with plug wrench
- Automatic Low Oil Shut Off
- EPA Approved
Champion Gas-Powered Water Transfer Pump
Champion Gas-Powered Water Transfer Pump at a Glance:
- Engine Size: 196cc
- GPM: 154
- Intake: 2 inch
- Extras: 12-foot intake hose, 20-foot discharge hose, cam action quick coupler, intake strainer, clamps, fittings and adapters
If you really want to maximize your budget and receive everything you need in one package, check out the Champion Gas-Powered Water Transfer Pump .
The entire setup has a 12-foot intake hose, 20-foot discharge hose, cam action quick coupler, intake strainer, clamps, fittings, and adapters.
If you’ve never used a gas powered water pump before, we recommend this model due to how easy and convenient it is to use.
Capable of moving 158 gallons per minute, the 196 cc Champion engine comes with a 0.9 gallon fuel tank with a 0.6-quart oil capacity. Needless to say, it’s incredibly powerful.
As you can probably guess by the name, it’s also capable of passing solid waste of up to 9/16 inches in diameter.
To facilitate this disposal, the pump has a 2-inch inlet, a 2-inch outlet, a total head of 98 feet, and a suction head of 26 feet.
The steel frame it comes with is incredibly strong and capable of many years of consistent use. However, the all-black design also looks very sleek and top-notch.
The handle and wheel kit are also helpful.
The wheels never go flat, so you can roll it over a wide array of environments without worry, making transportation is one of the easiest processes with this model.
Just to give you extra peace of mind, it even comes with a 2-year limited warranty with free lifetime tech support!
It’s easy to see why we consider this the best portable water pump we’ve had the pleasure of using.
- Dimensions: 25.0″ L x 20.8″ W x 19.2″ H | Weight: 66.1 lb.
- Complete Setup – Everything you need to start pumping – 12-foot intake hose, 20-foot discharge hose, cam action quick coupler, intake strainer, clamps, fittings and adapters (just add oil and gas)
- Efficient – 158 gallons per minute maximum delivery powered by a 196cc Champion engine with a 0.9-gallon fuel tank and 0.6-quart oil capacity
- Semi-Trash – Capable of passing solid waste up to 9/16 inch in diameter, this pump has a 2-inch inlet, a 2-inch outlet, total head of 98 feet and suction head of 26 feet
- Convenient – Featuring a durable steel frame, handle and wheel kit with never-flat tires, this pump is easy to move from one job to the next and a cinch to store
- Champion Support – Includes 2-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts. Impeller Material: Aluminum
Generac 6821 Clean Water Pump
Generac 6821 Clean Water Pumpat a Glance:
- Engine Size: 79 cc
- GPM: n/a
- Intake: 1.5 inch
- Extras: 10′ suction hose, 25′ discharge hose and strainer
Coming towards the end of our list, we present you with the Generac 6821 Clean Water Pump.
This pump comes with an accessory kit complete with a 10’ suction hose and strainer, along with a 25’ discharge hose which would normally cost $75!
If you’re on a tight budget but still want a high-quality water pump, this is a solid option.
We should start this off by saying that it’s not the absolute most powerful pump out there, but it will definitely get the job done if you don’t need that large of a capacity.
It also doesn’t come with the metal frame that others on our guide do. However, it’s the most lightweight and compact we’ve used so it’s not entirely necessary.
We loved the custom funnel design which made priming seamless and quick.
The color-coded suction and discharge ports make it very easy to use if it’s your first time and make sure you have the correct hose connections in place.
If you do have any doubts, however, you’ll receive instructions that come with very easy to read diagrams and detailed instructions so you’ll never run into any issues.
Whether you own a pool, a boat, hot tub, or simply want to remove water in your basement, this is a wonderful option.
- Includes: $75 accessory kit (10′ suction hose, 25′ discharge hose and strainer)
- Custom funnel design for quick and easy priming
- Color coded suction and discharge ports to ensure the correct hose connections
- Easy to use-onboard instructions with icons of key touch points
- Powerful Generac 79cc engine
- Can not be shipped to the state of CA. Not CARB compliant
NorthStar High-Pressure Water Pump
NorthStar High-Pressure Water Pump at a Glance:
- Engine Size: 270 cc
- GPH: 10,550
- Max Suction Lift (FT) 26
- Discharge Port (in.) 3
To finish things off, we have the NorthStar High-Pressure Water Pump.
This pump is a great middle-of-the-road option that will work well for just about anyone.
With a 270cc Honda GX270 Engine, it’s nice and powerful enough for the vast majority of uses and situations.
Not only is this engine capable of moving water quickly and for long distances, but to great heights as well.
It’s incredibly versatile thanks to the strong, 26-foot max suction lift.
However, just to make sure you’re getting the most effective performance possible, you have an adjustable throttle so you have full control over the amount of pressure.
To ensure durability, you have silicon carbide seals. These are proven to be twice as hard, 15% tougher, and 50% stronger than your average aluminum oxide seals, so you really get the most out of your pump.
In addition, you have a fully welded, industrial steel roll cage. If you’re using it in an area where it may be subject to quite a bit of abuse, then this is the perfect method for protecting it.
On top of that, it comes with a black wrinkle powder-coat finish over the s=top of the steel to help protect it from any corrosion.
- Designed to push water long distances or to great heights
- Silicon carbide seals are 2 times harder, 15% tougher, and 50% stronger than common aluminum oxide seals
- All sheet metal parts are cut using a state of the art CO2 laser
- Uses standard NPT threads for attachment flexibility
- Utilizes a check valve to hold a prime while the pump is not running
The Most Popular Gas Powered Water Pumps Buying Guide For 2022-2023
How to Choose the Best Gas Powered Water Pump
The Duromax Water Pump vs. The Honda General Water Pump
Now that you’ve seen the best water transfer pumps on the market, it’s time for you to select the right pump for your needs.
To do this, you must know what those are and how you’ll use it. The perfect product is going to be one that works best for you as an individual, as these aren’t one size fits all situations.
We’ve decided to create the user-friendly buying guide, below, to ensure you’re successful in your search!
First off, you need to determine just how much water you need to move and at what kind of rate. Gas water pumps can be chosen based on the intended use you plan on using it for, too.
To figure out the exact sizing you need in a gas water pump you need to look at GPM/PSI ratings, inlet/outlet size, water height – referred to as Total Head Lift (measured in vertical feet), and how far you’ll need to pump the water horizontally.
The GPM is the rate of at which water flows from the source to the discharge point, measured in gallons per minute.
It’s also crucial to consider that you can never use a gas water pump indoors. If you do, it can have deadly consequences.
As you may have already noticed, there are a few different kinds of water pumps out there.
Obviously, some are only made to pump water, but there are some with other options as well.
- Transfer/Clear Water Pumps – Transfer pumps are best if you need to drain your hot tub or pond. They can be used to drain shallow flooded areas and for lawn sprinkling. These pumps are designed for clear water usage only and should generally never have debris, although they can handle small solids up to a quarter of an inch.
- Semi-Solid Pumps – Semi-solid pumps have quite a few similarities to transfer pumps with the main distinguishing difference being that they can handle small solids of a quarter to 2/3 of an inch. Semi-solid pumps are best for draining your pool or getting rid of water from your basement.
- Trash Pumps – Trash pumps are able to pass solids from 2/3 of an inch to a full 2 inches and are ideal for commercial and agricultural use. Typically these pumps are used for irrigation or even on construction sites, however, you get quite a bit of versatility here.
- High-Pressure Pumps – High-pressure pumps are designed to provide higher pressure at lower volumes. This is ideal for agricultural and hobby farm markets as they’re perfect for transporting water over long distances.
Once again, you’ll want to think about how you want to use this pump. Most times, you’re going to need something that’s easy to move around and transport.
Most have a portable design, thankfully. We highly recommend looking for models with a type of roll cage and/or handles to help you ease the workload during transportation.
There are also some that come with wheels, which obviously facilitate transport incredibly.
This way, you don’t even have to worry about lugging it around – simply drag it and the wheels do the rest.
You don’t want to have to fork out more cash to buy a model that’s more portable because the one you settled on was to difficult to move.
Ease of Use:
This kind of goes along with our last point, but the user friendliness of a pump isn’t only due to how portable it is.
If you’ve never used one before, you will need thorough, detailed instructions that are easy to follow included in the package.
Ideally, there will be color-coded materials for you to know where and which hoses to put in which place.
It’s important to set out a budget for yourself here, as we know that gas powered water pumps aren’t exactly cheap.
Of course, we also realize that there are a wide variety of options when it comes to pricing. No matter what your budget is, we’re sure we have something on our guide for you.
However, if you can go up in pricing, we do recommend it as in this case, you really do get what you pay for.
If you can afford to go a bit higher, you’ll get a significantly longer-lasting model that will likely be much more powerful and convenient to use.
Think of the warranty kind of like the brand telling you how long they think their model will last under general operation.
With that being said, if you’re paying just a bit more for years more in coverage, it’s obviously worth paying the extra as it’ll ultimately end up saving you money.
Instead of having to purchase a whole new machine when your old one fails, the more expensive model will still be around operating as it should.
Proper Water Pump Removal & maintenance
FAQs About Gas Powered Water Pumps:
Q: What are the three different types of water pumps?
A: Positive displacement, centrifugal and axial-flow pumps.
Q: What type of pump is best for clean water?
A: Centrifugal pumps will be your best bet as they come with narrow impeller vanes. That means that clear water essentially free of debris, and is the only type of water this pump is able to handle.
Q: What is the most efficient water pump?
A: It’s been proven time and time again that the most efficient of the bunch are “positive displacement” pumps. These models pump a certain amount of water with each rotation. If the weather happens to be cloudy or you’re using it very early in the morning, it won’t receive as much energy and will run at a slower pace, but with no loss of efficiency.
Q: What happens if water pump runs dry?
A: This can create a surge in pressure – flow or overheating which can cause pump failure. As a result, the pumping elements seize up on the shaft. Obviously, that’s something we want to try to avoid.
Tips For Choosing A Gas Powered Water Pump
1: Remember to regularly service it.
As we just got done saying, we know that these pumps are made to be durable and work well – even under difficult circumstances. However, if you really want to get the most out of your machine and maximize its lifespan, we highly recommend you get it serviced regularly.
Once a year should be the bare minimum, but if you can take it in 2 or 3 times per year, that’s probably better in terms of performance and safety.
2: Look for the models that have everything already included – especially if this is your first pump.
You don’t want to have to be shelling out extra cash for things like various types of hosing, clamps, fittings, adapters, and so on.
What’s great is that there are plenty of options that come with everything you need, so once it lands on your doorstep you’re ready to use it.
3: If you’re working in an area where your pump may be subject to wear and tear, opt for a model with a roll cage.
This can not only make transportation easier, but can really help to shield it against larger object that my roll or fall in its direction.
Now that you know how to select a good gas powered water pump, have you decided which one you’ll take home?
All of the models on our list are some of the best around, so we hope that our review guide has helped you find the perfect one. Thanks for taking the time to read The Most Popular Gas Powered Water Pumps Review Guide For 2022-2023.
- Best Shop Air Compressors Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Arctic Grayling Fishing Lures Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Golf Swing Speed Radars And Analyzer For Performance Tracking Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best GPS Watches For Hunting Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Fishing Tide Watches Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Amazon Deals
- Amazon's Choice
- Amazons Best Sellers
- Expired Deals
- Health & Fitness
- Hot Tubs & Spars
- Lawn Care
- Outdoor Equipment & Sports
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pool Safety
- Special Deals
- Sports Apparel
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Tools & Auto
- UnderGround Stuff
- Women's Apparel