Top Range Finder Review Guide For 2020 – Gone are the days of searching for a sprinkler head or a 150-yard stone and pacing off a yardage from there, guessing at where the pin is and hoping you’ve calculated properly. These days, the first thing most golfers do when they get to their golf ball is pull out their rangefinder and shoot the yardage to the pin.
With the popularity of rangefinders booming, there’s been a proliferation of offerings in a wide range of prices. Do you really have to spend $400+ to get a good one? Is a bargain rangefinder worth the gamble or will it only provide frustration?
This Top Range Finder Review Guide For 2020 will guide your purchasing decision to help you find the perfect rangefinder for your needs and budget.
Golf Rangefinder Buyer’s Guide:
Golf Rangefinder Buyer’s GuideOur Golf Rangefinder Buyer’s Guide tries to address the general factors you’ll want to consider when buying a laser rangefinder.
The first thing you need to know is that ALL laser golf rangefinders are accurate to within a couple of yards. If you get one that is not accurate, it’s defective and you should return it!
So what should you consider when buying a golf rangefinder?
The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a rangefinder with Slope. Slope measures change in elevation between you and your target and estimates the distance that a shot will play, as well as the actual distance to the target. It can be a really useful feature but is not allowed under the Rules of Golf. If you don’t ever plan to use it in competition, then it’s definitely worth considering.
Ease of Use:
If you’re an experienced golf rangefinder user, then you will probably be able to use just about any of the current models. However, if you have any trouble hitting the right target with your laser or if you’ve never used one, the most important factor is ease of acquiring the distance to the right target. Your rangefinder won’t be any good to you if you can’t quickly get the right distance every time you use it. The factors below often affect ease of use.
PinSeeker, PinHunter, First Target Priority:
Most models today come with the technology that allows the device to separate a foreground object from background objects. That means if you’re aiming at a flag with trees behind the green, your rangefinder will show you the closest object, which should be the flag. This feature is found on most current models. Bushnell calls it Pinseeker, Leupold calls it PinHunter and Callaway calls it First Target Priority Mode. Some models also give a sound, vibration or visual cue when the closest target is locked on the display.
Laser rangefinders vary from no magnification to 7x magnification. We believe higher magnification can make it easier to hit the right target.
A rangefinder that’s too small can be a problem for those who need to use two hands to keep it steady. Two hands definitely makes ranging easier. Several wider models fit two hands quite comfortably.
Most models have a Scan mode. That means that either while you’re holding a button down or for a number of seconds after you press a button, the rangefinder will scan the targets you’re ranging, attempting to get the right one. In most cases, it’s easier to use a rangefinder with Scan mode turned on, so make sure you try it.
There is a difference in readability. We’ve found that units with Red numbers are much easier to see. Unfortunately, there is usually a price to be paid for that feature.
LESS IMPORTANT FACTORS:
Some models have additional features, particularly slope models. These aren’t critical, but can be fun.
Maximum and Minimum range:
For most users, this is not a factor. Most of these lasers can measure distances well beyond a point where we need information. If you’re within 15 yards of the flag, you can probably walk up and get your distance without the use of a rangefinder, so minimum distance is pretty irrelevant.
Find the right golf rangefinder for YOU in our Top Range Finder Review Guide For 2020.
TecTecTec Laser Golf Rangefinder VPRO500S Slope with Battery
The TecTecTec! VPRO500S uses the latest technology and is highly accurate and flexible when compared to other measuring devices. It perfectly measures distances quickly thanks to its clear 6x magnification and multilayer coating that let you improve your game like a pro. The VPRO500S even has slope compensation technology that calculates the elevation adjusted distance.
The VPRO500S has different scanning modes that are suitable for every situation. Its advanced Pin-Sensor lets you accurately measure overlapping targets and is perfect for measuring the distance to pin location and wooded areas! Its measurement locking function will give you even greater confidence!
Now there is no need to guess the distance. Just use the VPRO500S! Our rangefinder provides the true measurement accurate within +/- 1 yard, helping you to find the distance to flags or hazards. The rangefinder comes fully equipped with a premium carrying pouch, CR2 battery, wrist strap, microfiber cleaning cloth and quick start guide for easy setup!
- Tournament Legal; Our VPRO500S Laser Rangefinder is a premium product, measuring up to 540 yards with continuous scan mode, advanced Pin-Sensor technology, and a durable, water resistant body.
- Slope Mode: gives you the actual distance with Slope or without Slope (conforms to UGSA Rule 14-3).
- Upgraded Flag-Seeker: Advanced Pin-Sensor Technology and NEW Slope estimated distance mode.
- Durable: Rainproof, High-quality 6x Monocular with Multilayer Coating for Bright, Clear Images.
- Full Package: (Eye-safe rangefinder Class 1 laser with <0.5mW average power output) Complete rangefinder package for quick setup, including premium carrying pouch, CR2 battery, strap, microfiber cleaning cloth, quick start guide, TecTecTec Happy Guarantee for 2 Years (Online Registration Required) and Lifetime customer support.
- Slope measurement is accurate
- 6x magnification
- Addition of slope function seems to have affected non-slope accuracy
- Tough to read yardage numbers
The TecTecTec VPRO500S should just be the exact same thing as the VPRO500, with the added advantage of a switchable slope technology.
While the VPRO500 has a few issues, it’s still a very good rangefinder for the price. But the VPRO500S, while commanding a higher price for having the slope function added on, unfortunately performs worse at the basic function of getting a yardage reading.
Frequently bought together:
Callaway 300 Pro Laser Rangefinder with Slope Measurement
Never head off to the golf course again without the Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder with Slope Measurement device! Throw away the pad and pencil to calculate all your measurements! With the click of a button, you’ll get all the distance measurement you could ever need! With its slope technology, get accurate adjusted distances to the flag.
The Callaway 300 Pro measures the angle of the incline or decline you’re up against as well as calculates the slope adjusted distance displayed on the screen. Our 300 Pro Rangefinder comes with six features including slope mode, P.A.T (Pin Acquisition Technology), birdie technology, magnification, accuracy and water/fog resistance. It’s equipped with 6x magnification and 5 – 1000 yard range with +/- 1 yard accuracy.
Choose whether you want to play with yards or meters to acquire distance. With our P.A.T. feature, lock up to the pin up to 300 yards away to give you an accurate distance, even if trees or other hazards are in the way. Get precise distances to the flagstick, water, trees, or bunkers. Our exclusive “Birdie” feature delivers an audible “chirp” when the laser locks in on the pin to confirm you have the correct distance.
The 300 Pro Rangefinder’s slope function can be turned off with the click of a button, which makes the Callaway 300 Pro legal for tournament play. Smoke all your friends on the golf course when you bring our 300 Pro Rangefinder along! Included is the Premium Molded Case for extra protection when you’re on the go. Braving the rain or fog and getting your round of golf in anyways?
Not to worry, our Callaway 300 Pro Laser Rangefinder is both water and fog resistant. Perfect for the pros that want accurate distances, while being ideal for first time golfers and helping them know which clubs they should use! Kick your golf game up a notch with just the click of a button and never second guess your distances and calculations again!
- Slope feature measures angle of incline/decline and automatically calculates slope adjusted distance
- 6x magnification; range 5-1000 yards with +/- 1 yard accuracy
- Pin acquisition technology (P.A.T.) quickly locks onto the pin from up to 300 yards away
- Exclusive BIRDIE feature delivers audible “chirp” to confirm distance acquisition to flagstick
- Scan functionality allows golfers to acquire distances to multiple targets at once
- 6x magnification
- Reads yardages accurately up to 1000 yards
- Provides slope measurements
- Slope measurements sometimes seem underestimated
- Optics are fuzzy over 100 yards
- Chirp instead of vibration may be distracting
Most major golf manufacturers are happy to leave the laser rangefinder category to the companies that have long specialized in binoculars and hunting scopes, like Bushnell and Leupold. But Callaway have anted up with a rangefinder of their own to put in the mix, and it’s a very good entry.
The price is very attractive for a rangefinder with 6x magnification and slope reading, but a few aspects leave something to be desired.
Frequently bought together:
TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder
TecTecTec is proud to present its next-generation rangefinder. Incredibly clear and precise, the ULT-X vibrates after locking onto the flag and can be used in any tournament. There’s no need to compromise on additional features for accurate, slope enabled measurement.
Up to 1,000 Yards:The ULT-X measures distance precisely up to 1,000 yards and the image remains crisp and clear thanks to multilayered coatings and 6x magnification.
Unbelievable Accuracy:In golf, accuracy is everything. With the ULT-X golf rangefinder you can instantly catch a flag at 300 yards with a margin of error of just ± 0.3 yards.
Pinsensor with Vibration:Its advanced Pinsensor lets you accurately measure overlapping targets and is perfect for measuring the distance to flags standing in front of wooded areas. Its measurement locking function is enhanced with a vibration alert.
Slope Mode:Now you can take elevation into account when planning your shots thanks to the slope feature.
Slope Switch Technology:Highly visible faceplate ensures that your rangefinder is tournament legal. Playing fair is just as important as playing well
Scan Mode:Get immediate and accurate distances to all factors influencing your play.
Complete Package:Built to last, the ULT-X rangefinder comes fully equipped with a pouch, CR2 battery, wrist strap, microfiber cleaning cloth and quick start guide for easy setup! The ULT-X is incredibly compact and pocket friendly, and comes with a water-resistant body, so that you can easily bring it everywhere. So portable and reliable, there’s no reason to not use it for every shot!
- As Far As You Need: Struggling to lock on to flags over 150 yards away? With TLT (Target Lock Technology), your ULT-X laser rangefinder will instantly catch flags at up to 450 yards and hazards at up to 1000 yards with high quality 6x magnification providing bright, clear images.
- As Accurate As It Gets: Using the latest optical technology, the ULT-X gives you the most accurate and reliable measurements with an unprecedented accuracy of ± 0.3 yards at distances of up to 300 yards, ± 0.5 yards at distances of up to 600 yards and ± 1 yard at distances up to 1,000 yards.
- As Simple As you Like: Simply pull the attached faceplate into place to turn off the slope feature: Yellow = Slope, Black = Non-Slope. Target locked? It vibrates. Need a quick overview of distances? Scan mode gives you instant measurements one after the other. Using the ULT-X is quick, easy and accurate.
- As Fair As It Should Be: A highly visible faceplate ensures that your rangefinder is tournament legal everywhere. Playing fair is just as important as playing well.
- As Complete As It Gets: Rainproof and moisture resistant, the ULT-X rangefinder comes with a premium carrying pouch, CR2 battery, strap, microfiber cleaning cloth, quick start guide, a two-year (24 month) warranty (Online Registration Required) and lifetime customer support. That’s what we call a full package.
- Reads distance and slope with great accuracy
- Faceplate adjustment turns off slope for tournaments
- Vibrates when locked onto a pin
- Usable for very long distances
- Not easy to read yardage number
TecTecTec is looking to break the virtual monopoly that Bushnell has on rangefinders, and the ULT-X is a great product that should make good inroads on the market for them.
With advanced features like distance measurements up to 1000 yards, extreme accuracy, vibrating pin lock, slope measurement with sliding faceplate, and a high quality carrying case, the ULT-X successfully competes with rangefinders nearly double its price.
Frequently bought together:
Leupold 119087 GX-3i2 Digital Golf Rangefinder
The Leupold GX-3i2 Rangefinder has every feature you could need from a Leupold with PinHunter Laser Technology, Prism Lock Technology, and Fog Mode. Impressed? It also has fully multi-coated lenses, Digitally Enhanced Accuracy (DNA) Golf, and an illuminated OLED Plus Point display. This GX-3i2 is easily a grand unit you’d be proud to have at your side on the green.
It is a pricier rangefinder, but you’re getting the OLED display and the super-durable construction which could be worth it to most users.
Even though it’s just as popular as its predecessor, it’s the latest, souped-up version of the GX-3i with longer battery life and the most up-to-date PinHunter 2 Technology.
For its price and features, it falls in the higher end of the mid-level rangefinders in the market. With several dozen reviewers offering their opinion, the 3i2 is holding an excellent rating.
- Equipped with revolutionary DNA Technology and a vivid OLED display
- Featuring an incredibly compact aluminum body, the GX-3i defines rugged
- The GX-3i is USGA 14-3 compliant, offering line-of-sight distance measurement only.
- Very fast target acquisition
- Scan mode ensures correct target
- Bright OLED display
- Rugged aluminum case
- No slope reading
- Requires steady hands
The Leupold GX3i2 is an excellent, straight-to-the-point rangefinder that sticks to the basics and does it very well. With a bright red reticle and OLED screen, the GX3i2 is easy to read in all conditions. It’s rugged aluminum case is a step up from the cheaper-feeling plastic of most other brands.
The readings pop up quickly and are dead-on accurate to a tenth of a yard. Leupold is a company known for making the best laser gun sights in the world, so it’s no surprise that their golf rangefinder is a winner.
Frequently bought together:
Bushnell Pro X2 Golf Laser Rangefinder
All of Bushnell Golf’s industry-leading laser rangefinder innovations are packed into the Pro X2. Note-the last range reading does not need to be cleared before ranging another target. Simply aim at the new target using the reticle, depress the power button and hold until new range reading is displayed. If target range not obtained, make sure display is illuminated.
Make sure that the power button is depressed. Make sure that nothing, such as your hand or finger, is blocking the objective lenses lens closest to the target that emit and receive the laser pulses. Make sure unit is steady while depressing power button.
Tour-trusted Slope-Switch Technology engages Bushnell Golf’s patented Slope Technology to give the golfer compensated distance based the hole’s incline/decline – and turns off for a USGA-conforming device when needed. There’s PinSeeker with JOLT Technology to eliminate any doubt that you have locked onto the flag. All of it is wrapped in fully-waterproof metal housing to give the golfer the ultimate golf laser rangefinder.
- Ranges 5 1, 300 yards; 450+ yards to Flags
- Pin Seeker with JOLT technology.Eye Relief:16 millimeter Exit Pupil:3.5 millimeter
- IPX7 Fully Waterproof
- Class 1 laser with less than 0.5 mW average power output
- Solid metal housing
- Extremely accurate yardage and slope
- Fully Waterproof
With the Bushnell Pro X2, you’ll find all the bells and whistles and notable features possible packed into one excellent
package, complete with a sturdy, rugged metal housing with comfortable rubber grips.
Frequently bought together:
We hope this Top Range Finder Review Guide For 2020 has been a benefit to you.